We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing meat into country

Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Bringing meat into country

Can i Bring fresh frozen meat in Jamaica

8 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
13,565 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Bringing meat into country

See the following. Specifically on page 3 see question number 1 under 'frequently asked questions' and on page 4 see the first item at the top on the left hand column.

https:/…20Items.pdf

If you have any additional questions you should call the Ministry of Agriculture at (876) 977-2489.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,999 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Bringing meat into country

Why do you want to bring "meat" into Jamaica?

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
1 review
3. Re: Bringing meat into country

It will definitely be defrosted by the time you get to Ochi and soon after Rancid.

Chicken, goat, oxtail & fish are readily available and some quality beef

PEACE!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Bringing meat into country

It would only defrost if you don't pack it in a cooler with other frozen things. We do this when we go to the Virgin Islands, it's fine, everything stays frozen. I can understand someone wanting to bring some nice steaks, as they are next to impossible to find in Jamaica (good ones). Other than that, I don't see the point, but do what you will.

Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Bringing meat into country

Because unless u stay at am inclusive . Food is very expensive in Jamaica

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Bringing meat into country

Meat is restricted and requires a permit. Not sure where you've been meat shopping, but it's really not expensive, unless you're buying filet steaks. There are plenty of inexpensive places to eat, sometimes the smaller place the better authentic food. Not sure it's worth the hassle of obtaining a permit.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
1 review
7. Re: Bringing meat into country

Where are you staying? If in a Villa there are plenty of farmers markets and local shops to get Farm to Table Meats, sea to table seafood that are not expensive.

If staying in a staffed Villa the chef will know where to buy meats and Foods at the best value.

And if you let us know where you're staying we can recommend some places to purchase as well.

PEACE!

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,999 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Bringing meat into country

"Food is very expensive in Jamaica"

Not if you know how and where to shop. I spend less on groceries there than I do at home (California).

The key is not to buy anything imported from North America and when buying produce stick to what's in season and local.

There is a butcher in Sheffield that sells beef and pork (Jamaican) and sells all cuts at the same low price. Problem is they don't age their beef there - that's up to you if you have a kitchen and the where-with-all.

As far as keeping it frozen, I bring frozen food back from Jamaica (ackee) on a somewhat regular basis. Its frozen solid when I pack it - I put it in my checked bag and it stays frozen because its freezing cold in the luggage compartment of the airplane. When I arrive home it is still frozen and goes right into my freezer.

I travel to San Francisco and my typical travel time door to door is 12-14 hours.

Reply to: Bringing meat into country
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted