We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

12 posts
Save Topic
Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

My fiancé and I will be traveling on our honeymoon in May. We are in our late 20s and would love to stay at a resort with up to date & modern room amenities, and activities to keep us busy along with an active night life. Based on reviews, sandals whitehouse is beautiful, however, my step mother who is Jamaican does not recommend it bc it is so secluded and the beach isn't that nice.

Couples swept away is sold out of beach front rooms, and sandals negril is very expensive for their beach/ocean view rooms. Please help!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,996 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

Armywife, congrats on the honeymoon! We are Sandals regulars and can offer comments on both SWH and SN. We have not been to Couples, but have heard good things there too.

Our hands down favorite would definately be SWH. We have been to both SWH and SN five times, and are returning to both in 2013. You can't go wrong with either one.

But, based on your requirements, the WH would best fit your needs. SWH is one of the newest properties at 7 or 8 years old, therefore very updated and very nice rooms and property. I certainly don't want to step on anyones toes here, especially a step-mother, but the SWH beach is second to none. The beach is two miles long and has no other resorts on either side, making it private. The sand is great and the water is calm and clear. Some spots with mother natures greenery, but that's to be expected with two miles of great beach. And there is always ample lounge chair available on the beach.

Now, step-mom is right on the secluded part. SWH is remote and for us this is a big plus. This provides for total privacy and lots of room to do what you want. Because of this you won't have off property night clubs close by. If you are really looking for big time partying and clubbing, then the WH wouldn't work.

However, SWH has tons of daily activites for everyones interests. There are three huge swim pools with swim-up bars that definately provide for lots of fun during the day. The WH has all of the water sports you could want, and an outstanding fitness and activity center. There is always evening entertainment around the property, including a very large entertainment center with bar. There is also Casabanca's Bar that parties well into the AM! Monday nights offer a great Beach Party and Thursday Night is the Lobster Gala.

SN offers most of the same things as SWH, but the beach is smaller and the pools are less. Again, either would be nice.

If you want to check-out SWH further, take a look at these two forums with lots of current info and pictures on the WH:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1009314-i12763-k5…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1009314-i12763-k5…

Have fun deciding, and feel free to ask specific questions about either SWH or SN, or send a PM if you wish.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 15:30
Boston...
Level Contributor
268 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

My husband and I are in our late 20's as well and have been to both Whitehouse and Sandals Negril. We liked Negril but LOVED Whitehouse. The beach at Negril is just so narrow (it's wider down by Couples) and the main pool is tiny. Whitehouse is more sprawling and serene. We met a few couples our age and hung out with them pretty late at the martini bar (but I wouldn't say there's a "crazy" nightlife). Lots of activities going on. The rooms aren't incredibly modern (neither are Sandals Negril, unless you get a pricy swim out suite), but they all have ocean views. Other than that, RandB is right on.

Good luck choosing!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

Is Swept Away sold out for Beachfront Suites as well as Beachfront Verandah Suites? We like the Ocean Verandah Suites as well and find them to be a great value.

I have never stayed at SWH as the isolation is a concern. We love Negril and getting out and about to the cliffs for drinks/sunset/dinner as well as the activity on 7MB.

Couples Swept Away is my favorite adult only resort in JA. I have not stayed at SWH but have stayed at all of the other Sandals over a period of many years, but none of the stays were recent.

We just find that Couples resorts - both CN and CSA - fit what we enjoy in a resort in Jamaica. Fabulous beaches, perfect water, very good food, no noise at pools, no games and such, no differentiation between butler and non butler guests, gorgeous grounds.

Rooms at Couples however are not modern not are they luxe in any way so if that matters a lot, Couples is not a good fit. There is plenty of activity but not of the Playmakers (Sandals entertainment crew) type. Waterpsorts, catamaran cruises, included excursions and the awesome fitness facility will keep you busy. But Couples is not a place where group participation is encouraged and so might not work for you.

We find CN to have more active and social pool scene than CSA.

We do enjoy luxury and choose those type of resorts in MX. But for JA, we look for a casual and laid back beach vibe in a great location and Couples ticks those boxes.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 19:52
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

As Caviargal mentioned, I would take a look at Couples Negril as well. She is right the rooms are not modern or fancy. They are clean, comfortable and fit very much with the Jamaican feel of the resorts.

The beach, food, staff and grounds are wonderful. The pool is great as is the swim up bar.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

I would be calling Couples @1-800-Couples directly and asking what they have available at CSA or Couples Negril.

What would bother be more about SWH would be the seclusion then the beach. Plus the "active" night life. You will be completely dependent on Sandals to provide that. With Couples you will be on 7 mile beach thus have access to EVERYTHING it has to offer.

I am sure SWH is a very very nice resort but might not be what you are looking for this time.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
12,996 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

Good info frodo. We love the WH and the pure privacy of it. But, if you are really looking for the party and clubbing, then Seven Mile Beach would be better.

And we always would call any resort directly for more info on rooms if their web is showing full.

12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

Thank you so much for the advice. I called sandals and their representative said that both negril & whitehouse are pretty laid back and that i should consider montego bay. Any advice on sandals montego bay.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

WHOOOOAAAA slow down!! How did you get from the best beach on Jamaica in Negril, 7 Mile, to the worst beaches in Mo'Bay within a matter of hours?

If you think SWH beaches are "not nice" which they are very nice, then the beaches in Mo'Bay are HORRIBLE....which well they are....for the most part.

Did you call Couples to verify what rooms they had available? If nothing is available with Couples and you do not like Sandals Negril for whatever reasons then I would look at Breezes Grand Negril before I went to ANY beach in Mo'Bay!

Another very nice option would be Iberostar Grand Rose Hall or Coyaba Beach Resort.

NO resort is going to have an extremely active night life. It is just not the nature of the beast. Some will be more active then others and of course it will always depend on the guests at any given time!

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

I have been to all three. I think, CSA is what you are looking for. The beach at CSA is my favorite of the three. SW has an awesome beach but, as others have said, it is remote. While this may be fun for some people, it doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

Walking the beach at CSA is great. Not only is the beach great but, there are little bars and restaurants all along the beach. If the night life at CSA isn't enough for you, you can always find someplace on the beach nearby that has music and great nightlife.

I have been to SMB, also. If a great beach is what you are looking for, SMB isn't for you. SMB has a nice beach but, if the beach at SW and SCA are tens on the scale of one to ten, the beach at SMB is about a three, in my opinion.

Canterbury...
Level Contributor
842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals whitehouse vs sandals negril vs couples swept away

At Whitehouse, one will not be bothered by vendors. That is big if it's an issue with some.