We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Guadeloupe

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
68 reviews
1st time in Guadeloupe

We are planning our first trip to Guadeloupe for about 10 days. We are 2 adults and a child. I am looking for the recommendations as to what part of the island we should choose as a base. Our basic requirements are good beaches, good hotels, and good restaurants, may be some low-key cute shops within easy access. A place that is within a walking distance to a small quaint beach town. I guess, something similar to Les Trois Ilets in Martinique.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

I hope you had fun. I'm surprised there were no responses here. I would like to visit there some day too. I was hoping to see some info after your post.

whitestone, ny
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

We are now in Guadeloupe and have rented an appartement for 3 weeks, DO NOT COME HERE! A MAJOR STRIKE, NO GAS, NO FOOD AND THAT NOW FOR A WEEK. Last year in Martinique it was perfect..

Hope this will help.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

I think that happens there. We ran into a strike and a no gas problem in Martinique 2 years ago, though it wasn't too bad.

Our trip is all booked up, so we are coming next week. Hopefully, they'll resolve the crisis. It does put a demper on things, doesn't it? May be we should bring some x-tra food with us =))))

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

Good luck you guys. I've seen the pictures here and there of the island and it looks beautiful. We speak zero French so I'm not sure if we could get by there but I'd sure like to try some day. Post some photos when you get back.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

Thanks, we are very excited, particularly to get out of this cold weather in Chicago.

whitestone, ny
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

I am still in Guadeloupe, after now a week of strike. My wife speak perfectly french she comes from Quebec, so we can communicate without problems. I repeat DO NOT COME HERE. We are in St-Fraçois and rented a villa for 3 weeks so we have to go and get food, yesterday bakeries had no bread and the little supermarket that is open had no milk, no cheese, no butter, no fruits. The wine shop is closed. On the beach, this is the best part, the fisherman had no fish to sell because no gas. In town one of the farmer that comes to sell vegetable was not there because the gas in his truck have been stolen.

On tv at the info the said that the strike will last minimum 1 week long so we don't tour the island or even just go the the beach in Ste-Anne. In the hotels the room are not cleaned and when you go out, you have to pass in front of strikers it is difficult. So thiks twice, but the weather is beautiful!

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
68 reviews
7. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

Do you know if the airport is open? We were planning on spending a few days at Les Saints b/r going to the main island. I e-mailed the B&B where we are staying and the owner said that there have been no problems there (may be he is being overly optimistic?)

I guess I'll call the hotel -- we are staying at Gosier, to see what is the deal there.

Thanks for the update.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

This is what I've found on the NET. Hopefully you don't run into any of the violence. I'd make a few more calls to see get the story just to make sure you will be OK.

rfi.fr/actuen/articles/109/article_2737.asp

whitestone, ny
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

For les Saintes as far as I know, there is no problem but for Gosier you MUST check with you hotel. On television here last night at the news we saw that the hotels in Gosier and Pointe-à-Pitre are near closing. Because no maids, no food, no wash bedsheets etc. Also in Gosier and Pointe-à-Pitre, cars in fired on the street and youngs steeling gas at night and looking for trouble. So the area is unsafe they even asked on tv to stay home at night. So think of it with a child.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
164 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: 1st time in Guadeloupe

We decided to go to St. Barts next week, and then, hopefully, things will improve and we can still end up in Guadeloupe. If it's no big trouble, please let me know how the things are. It's difficult to find any information here. Not much on the web - I ended up calling the French consulate, and even they had to find out what was going on and get back to me.

You can e-mail directly to yn10@yahoo.com

Good luck to you - it's a shame to be worrying about a strike on your vacation.