We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
99 reviews
Where to stay?

Dear all,

First of all sorry as I am actually not the first one to start with this question. But I looked up a lot of threads on TA and still don’t have a clue. So some advice would be highly appreciated! :)

My boyfriend and me are thinking about spending two weeks on Guadeloupe, starting right after Christmas (and yeah I know that we should make up our minds quickly ;)

We would prefer to stay in a nice and cosy place, ideally close to a beach and diving spots around, not in a large hotel. Self catering or B&B would be fine. Will definitely rent a car, but some restaurants in walking distance would be great.

I am thinking about splitting it in staying both a few nights on Haute Terre (Deshaies?) and Grand Terre (maybe Sainte Anne or Saint Francois?).

Which places/towns do you prefer? And would you recommend staying on both parts of the main island or rather pick one for the entire stay?

Thanks for any hint!

Sarah

2 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay?

If I had 2 weeks, I would do a few days in St Francois on Grand Terre. Then a few days on Terre Haute (the tiny car free island off the south coast) and then a few days in Deshaies on Basse Terre. Plan on having a rental car and driving around a bit each day to see things and visit local beaches. If you are big hikers, then emphasize time on Basse Terre. I feel the island is a bit too big to see it all from one homebase, but if you want one homebase, it would be Gosier and then plan on a lot of driving.

A common magical dream is for a boutique hotel on a perfect beach next to a quaint town with fine dining isn't so easy. The best beaches don't have hotels so that will be your first tradeoff. Hotel Lo Bleu, Hotel Diwali are in towns and are on nice beaches, but I don't think would be considered the best beaches. Otherwise you might want to expect short drives to get to beaches (and go to a couple of beaches a day.)

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
99 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay?

I forgot to mention that we love hiking, too. Therefore, your answer is really helpful - thank you very much! :)

Reply to: Where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted