We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guadeloupe really cheap to visit? What's it cost to live?

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
344 posts
45 reviews
Guadeloupe really cheap to visit? What's it cost to live?

I'm kind of stunned. I randomly was looking at places to visit and I found so much cheap stuff in Guadeloupe that it feels like it isn't right.

Ex:

- Car rental for month of October = $400 US

- AirBnB $37/night for a clean, modern interior 1br stand-alone cottage with AC, Wifi, etc. Plenty of others in the 800-900 EUR range for *monthly* rentals?

- Meals seem to be in the $10-12 range for normal things such as lunch.

- Flights $600/pp from MIA

I read that it's one of the more expensive places in the Caribbean, but it sure doesn't seem like it with the prices I've seen. I get that it's still hurricane season, but the prices don't seem that much more in February.

Am I missing something?

What are the costs of things like cell phone service for a month (sim card purchase, mostly data, etc) groceries, are the meals I'm seeing accurately priced?

5 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
945 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Guadeloupe really cheap to visit? What's it cost to live?

Go from Fort Lauderdale on Norwegian and the airfare will be even cheaper. https:/…A0Pitre

Deshaies, Guadeloupe
Level Contributor
115 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Guadeloupe really cheap to visit? What's it cost to live?

It’s quite reasonable here...some things cost more than in the US (e.g. gas, household items) and many cost less (e.g., medications, doctor visits). Monthly cell bill is about $35 per month and I think each SIM was around $25. Restaurants are reasonable and we get fresh fish right off the boat at the daily fish market up the road for $5 per pound. Even the cat gets fresh tuna, marlin, mahi mahi and wahoo. Hotels and VRBO/AirBnb rentals are sometimes lower than they should be. It is safe and the people are friendly. Absolutely no complaints...this place is paradise.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
344 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Guadeloupe really cheap to visit? What's it cost to live?

Thanks for the local perspective. Much appreciated!

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
4. Re: Guadeloupe really cheap to visit? What's it cost to live?

Yes for some reason food is very expensive. Breakfast start at 10-25$. But the place and people are beautiful

Edited: 24 August 2018, 13:19
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,402 posts
400 reviews
5. Re: Guadeloupe really cheap to visit? What's it cost to live?

Many things are imported from mainland France ... All overseas French territories are more expensive than in Europe. It is a major cause of local complaint.

Reply to: Guadeloupe really cheap to visit? What's it cost to live?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted