We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guadaloupe - 9 nights - how to split

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
111 reviews
Guadaloupe - 9 nights - how to split

Hello - 2 adults with 9 nights to enjoy. Debating doing a few on Guadaloupe and a few on Martinique but think we are best to savour Guadaloupe. Thinking maybe 3 * 3 nights to experience different parts and maybe different islands. We aren't really 'laying by the pool' people so after places with nature (hopefully some wildlife), a bit of diving for my husband (I can't due to lung issue) and good food and reasonably comfortable accommodation. Not really budget conscious but doubt we need cookie cutter resorts.

Any and all suggestions welcome - oh and late April dates. thanks !

5 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
931 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Guadaloupe - 9 nights - how to split

I think you should stay in Guadeloupe and split your time between the Basse Terre side and the Grande Terre side. Basse Terre actually sounds better for you - rainforests, mountains, hiking, volcano, etc. But Grande Terre has some great tourists sites as well. The two sides of the island are entirely different. And you could always throw in a side trip to Les Saintes.

Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Guadaloupe - 9 nights - how to split

Hi!Personally, places that I suggest to see are Marie Galante, for desert beaches and nice walk, is a small island easily reachable by ferry, Reserve Cousteau for diving, while for trekking inside nature you can easily be based in Basse Terre to access the vulcan Soufriere and/hot springs basins. More touristic are places like Sainte Anne and Saint Francois.Hope it helps to have a first screening of places.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
39 posts
3. Re: Guadaloupe - 9 nights - how to split

I agree with radio, would be nice to split your time between both sides of the island since they are very different. We personally love Deshaies on Basse-Terre and plan to spend our entire week there this year. If you are adventurous there is so much to see across both ends, and the small islands a boat ride away.

Edited: 17 February 2018, 16:08
Boston
Level Contributor
455 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: Guadaloupe - 9 nights - how to split

I think you are right to skip Martinique and focus on Guadeloupe. There is plenty to do, especially if you add in the side islands of Terre de Haut or Marie Galante (I would lean toward Terre de Haut because it is more unusual than Marie Galante). You can certainly tie in Martinique, but you will lose at least one day on wrestling with flights and car returns and not get that much new and different out of it.

With your 3, 3, 3 plan I think you are golden. 3 in St Francois and drive the loop of Grand Terre seeing and hiking the craggy rocks and cliffs at the ocean, snorkeling and swimming at beaches busy and empty, and testing out the various restaurants. 2 or 3 on Terre de Haut with great snorkeling, diving and spectacular beaches and restaurants on a walking island without cars, and then finish up with 3-4 nights on Basse Terre with the restaurants of Deshaies, the hiking to waterfalls and the volcano, the Cousteau snorkeling diving preserve and the little tourist 'trap' fun spots.

Marie Galante is great, but I don't usually recommend it for a first time visitor because the geology is exactly like Grand Terre and Grande Terre is more tourist ready so is a better place to get your feet wet, sort of speak, and get comfortable with Guadeloupe overall. Yes there are fewer people on Marie Galante, but if you get off the tourist trail on Grand Terre you can find empty beaches and massive sugar cane fields as well, whereas Terre de Haut has a quite different feel and is small enough to completely digest. Marie Galante, we felt, needed more effort from the traveler to unlock it's features and makes for a great visit on your second trip. Obviously these are all just personal opinions and depends a lot on the mood and preferences of the visitor.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
111 reviews
5. Re: Guadaloupe - 9 nights - how to split

Thanks all - I'll get my hands dirty on looking at all suggestions.

Reply to: Guadaloupe - 9 nights - how to split
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted