We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Youth French Immersion for a few weeks Dec 2018-Jan 2019

Dryden, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Youth French Immersion for a few weeks Dec 2018-Jan 2019

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at St. Martin, Martinique and Guadeloupe as options for a winter vacation French immersion experience for my young teens (in immersion) Dec-Jan next year. I would like as economical as possible while stilling feeling like a vacation. The primary purpose for this destination is for my kids to be around other kids their age, who are French speaking, having fun, playing and hanging out. I am in the early stages of exploring, so any considerations, thoughts, suggestions you might have will help me narrow my focus and then I'll have more specific questions. I realize that this will be the most expensive time to travel, so I'm thinking something like a long-term rental maybe? I recently stayed at a hotel/condo combo, and it was great because it had lots of vacationers and kids, but the condos had better long term rates, plus kitchens and laundry. An accommodation like that would be ideal.

Thank you!!

Marlene

4 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
931 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Youth French Immersion for a few weeks Dec 2018-Jan 2019

I recommend Guadeloupe or Martinique, not St. Martin. English is prevalent in St. Martin, even on the French side. If you want total immersion, Guadeloupe or Martinique would be better.

Dryden, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Youth French Immersion for a few weeks Dec 2018-Jan 2019

Thank you. Any suggestions for areas, accommodation?

San Francisco
4 posts
3. Re: Youth French Immersion for a few weeks Dec 2018-Jan 2019

I am interested in a similar idea but my kids are seven and nine. Please share if you find any information from someplace other than this forum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Youth French Immersion for a few weeks Dec 2018-Jan 2019

Hello, you may be best off in Marie Galante as it has a very chilled out feel so you will probably feel happy letting your kids run around on the beach at Capesterre for example. Otherwise on the mainland places where you'll get plenty of people hanging out and therefore more chance of interaction, is on the beach at La Datcha in Gosier, the beach of Grande Anse, Deshaies and the. Most accommodation in Guadeloupe is based on more or less individual 'gites' so depending on the property you might feel very separate from others. One option would be to choose a 'bas de villa' on air bnb or 'leboncoin' so that you are downstairs and the owners are upstairs. I haven't yet seen any where there are kids living there too but you might find there are some in the descriptions. Otherwise if you look for 'residences' you'll find what I think is a condominium (not a word in Brit Eng!). Sorry that's a bit general, just my immediate thoughts based on what I know about holiday rentals in Gwada.

Reply to: Youth French Immersion for a few weeks Dec 2018-Jan 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted