We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where the locals go

East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Where the locals go

Hello, my husband and I are traveling to Grenada (sandals LaSource) in the last week in Jan through the first week in Feb. We love AI's but with the relative safety of the island, we would like to get out and explore. What I'd like to know is what are some of the things you would consider a MUST SEE or MUST DO? I've heard the Friday night fish party and sat morn carenage market are great, any input on either? Also any great local tours recommendations would be great too! Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Sunsation Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Wondering Soles Grenada
Hiking & Camping Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Walking Tours
Tropical Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where the locals go

I am heading to Grenada next week for the rest of the month. First time there. I am wondering if Canadians can use their debit cards at the ATM? I bank with ING Direct.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
187 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where the locals go

Canadian debit cards are no problem and cash machines are all over the place.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where the locals go

Wonderful news. Thank you !

UK
Level Contributor
467 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where the locals go

Rent a car easy to drive around also go to patricks in st George for true Caribbean food

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where the locals go

Hi there!

What do locals do... The list is endless:

Hog Island on a Sunday ( you can get a water taxi from Woburn but ask at reception) it's very laid back, there is one bar - Rogers. Rum or Carib galore. BBQ and usually live music..locals and travelers all meet and pass the day away

I won't go on but ask again: under water sculpture park. Search: grenadaunderwatersculpturepark

When I say wear factor 50 while snorkeling . Wear it! Fascinating! ( I've been 3 times and going again to see what's new next month

Sunday buffet at the Aquarium

Steel band on Friday nights at Prickly Bay

Must see Grand Etang and the monkeys- it's cold up there so be warned

Make sure to visit one of the Nutmeg plantations after all a third of the worlds nutmeg comes from Grenada! Nutmeg jam- heaven

Annandale falls....

Many of these places you will need a tour guide as we found them by car ... Eventually...

The list is endless!

So, If you are interested I have more that we've seen. We go back for the fifth time next month!

Sandals is newly opened I believe.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
UK
Level Contributor
467 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where the locals go

Rent a car its great driving around and we found parking always ok in st George even on market day on a Saturday. We drove up to bathway beach too definitely worth a drive.

Its a wonderful island and we.ll definitely be back we went to st Lucia in may and not a patch on grenada. Try to fly to Carriacou for the day a great day out and worth the money.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where the locals go

either use a bus or a hire car, one is as cheap as chips, the other allows you to do what you want when, nothing worse than arranging with a taxi a pick up time ,to find you want to stay later or go earlier and can't.

Driving. on a scale of one[bad] to ten[good] , its a 6-7 for the roads and 7-8 for the layout of them, roundabouts been the worst.

Just keep an eye on the rear view mirror for empty taxis/buses putting the foot down

Locals wise, I am embarrassed to realise I cannot recall the names, one is above a arch on the quay where the long line boats moor up, supermarkets have a daily cooked special at terrific value, and the three cabins/shacks we stopped at were good value , meat of the day with rice/noodles.

18. Re: Where the locals go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St. George's
Recent Conversations