We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where the locals go

East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Where the locals go

Hello, my husband and I are traveling to Grenada (sandals LaSource) in the last week in Jan through the first week in Feb. We love AI's but with the relative safety of the island, we would like to get out and explore. What I'd like to know is what are some of the things you would consider a MUST SEE or MUST DO? I've heard the Friday night fish party and sat morn carenage market are great, any input on either? Also any great local tours recommendations would be great too! Thanks!!

Thornbury, Canada
Level Contributor
824 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where the locals go

Two very good choices, we've done both, on numerous trips.

Fish Friday in Gouyave - its up the coast from St Georges and you'll need a taxi. Don't try and drive it yourselves, twisty roads, narrow in places and dark. You'll want to arrive early, about 6:00 or 7:00 pm and take a walk through the vendors BEFORE you start sampling. (My rookie mistake - hit the first two vendors I saw, it was GREAT, but I was full and there is sometimes better choices around the corner. Very safe, great local vibe, often live music a fun evening and you can see and sample the event in a couple of hours. It gets pretty busy later in the evening, and if you are going to market Saturday...

Market day Saturday - busy BUSY at times, but wow, produce and spices everywhere, you can barter a little but prices are pretty reasonable to begin with. You should take a taxi or local bus to the Carenage and walk through the tunnel to get to the market. A taxi right to the market will be a lot slower, traffic is slammed around the market area. You'll find some nice souvenirs, we buy our fresh fruit and veg there but we have been staying in a cottage. The fish market is close by and worth a look if you are there early. Lots of neat places to pause and get a cold drink and watch the city go by. Near the market is the cruise ship "mall" if there are ships in port, expect bigger crowds. Typical ship souvenirs and prices will be higher than in town.

A very good local guide we've used several times is Mandoo. You'll find his site here: http://www.grenadatours.com/ we've used his service to take us to Gouyave as well. See if some new friends from the AI want to join you Friday night, split the cost. He has set itineraries, but can and will tailor a trip to suit.

Have fun, please do explore the real Grenada and not just the AI world of Sandals.

Expect people to wish you "Good morning" or "good afternoon" everywhere - the Greandian people are among the friendliest and most genuine in the Caribbean.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 12:48
East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where the locals go

Thank you so much! I'm glad you added the part about the drive bc we were throwing the idea of renting a car around, but taxi sounds like a much better idea. Better to have someone who knows where they are going.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where the locals go

We will be there next February for 3 weeks - thanks for that great info. MacPete. Your link for Mandoo doesn't work. Is he still in business?

East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where the locals go

This link for mandoo worked for me http://grenadatours.com/

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
588 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where the locals go

It's working now. Thanks. Not sure why it didn't work the first time. Will check them out when we are there.

Sausalito, CA
Level Contributor
101 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where the locals go

We go to Grenada quite often. My best trip was when we rented a car and drove over to La Sagesse, then up the coast to the Belmont Plantation and to Bathways Beach. The Eastern side of the island is beautiful. We stopped at one of the less popular waterfalls and had a lovely walk through the woods (think guavas falling on the trail). The Grenada countryside is very sweet and worth getting into to on your off beach day. Also, speaking of beaches, Morne Rouge is a beach that locals go to picnic. Very calm and south facing, so sun galore. You can eat at the beach restaurant there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
187 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where the locals go

Definitely rent a car...taxis can get very expensive. Also, don't be afraid of bussing it between LaSource & St George's!

East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where the locals go

Are the bus systems easy to navigate?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where the locals go

The buses are very easy to get around on, just flag one down as they go by. We use the buses all the time including to get to Fish Friday. We even did an island tour by bus, stopping in Sauters, at the Cocoa Plantation and Grenville.

Sam (from Wales Center)

East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where the locals go

Wales center?! Wild, you're practically my neighbor

Edited: 31 July 2013, 04:09
Get answers to your questions about St. George's
Recent Conversations