We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

Peabody, MA
Level Contributor
80 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

This is the first time traveling to an all-inclusive resort. Are tips expected? If so, what is appropriate?

Thanks!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

This is a very controversial topic and is discussed on this forum at length. Might I suggest you do a search, to read some of the threads on the subject? It can get heated here.... with different people (often depending on where they're from) having different feelings on it.

Best of luck.

Boston...
Level Contributor
502 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

This could lead to some fun weekend reading. Tip if you want to, don't tip if that is your thing. There is no right or wrong. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

Completely a personal decision as mentioned. If it helps at all, the following seems to be "norm" and/or how we tipped - of course, everyone does as they are comfortable with, so certainly nothing is ever written in stone when it comes to this topic:

$1-2 -- Baggage handler at airport (should you choose to make use of their services to get your luggage and take you to your transfer - same on departure)

$5 -- transport driver (drop off and return - resort an hour from airport)

$2 -- porter at resort

$2-$3 -- buffet dining

$5 -- a la carte dining

$3-$5 -- daily for housekeeper

$2-$5 -- daily for fridge restocking (not always same person as housekeeper)

$1-$2 -- every second round of drinks (some people choose to tip a larger lump sum after being at bar/beach/pool for any given period of time in a day/evening - we went this route)

$5-$10 -- spa treatments

We also chose to tip:

-- the young man ($2 once) who carted the beach lounger cushions back and forth every day and evening.

-- the young man who climbed a tree outside our room to bring us two fresh coconuts one day ($1)

-- the older gentleman who tirelessly raked the beach twice a day ($2 twice)

-- taxi driver on shopping trip ($3 each way - short distance)

-- private excursion driver ($10 for both ways, about an hour trip each way)

-- crew on private excursion ($20)

Everyone is different - do whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy your trip! The Dominican people are some of the most hardworking, genuinely kind and friendly people I've ever met - a smile, "gracias" and going armed with a little Spanish is very appreciated, and a wonderful way to demonstrate respect and appreciation :D

Edited: 06 October 2013, 15:33
Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

Thanks Laceyblue

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,784 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

Unlike my other responses on this issue when it has come up, I'll try to put it succinctly as I can:

On the resort tipping is optional but expected, and the level of service will likely vary according to it. On tours and excursions, nearly every one you come into contact with will expect to be tipped at every stop you make, plus the tour guide, the driver of the van/bus, etc. I don't tip the taxi cartel when they are already charging extortionate rates, and it isn't really expected by them anyway.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 16:46
MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

Yup this is going to be a hot weekend topic lol!

<<<<On the resort tipping is optional but expected, and the level of service will likely vary according to it>>>>>

What Eric M said, especially the level of service part (even though some don't agree, it's true)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

lol, here we go again.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

lol Paulette, were just missing the particular person from across the pond (gun.....)

Peabody, MA
Level Contributor
80 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

Thank you all for this information! It is very helpful and I will be sure to carry some smaller bills for the week!

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at all-inclusive resorts?

How true Bigjim93.

A few years ago in a thread about tipping it was mentioned that some people only tip to get special treatment and that you should tip at the end of your vacation if you were happy with the service.

So - on my next trip to Punta Cana, our friends went with us, stayed in the room next to us and had the same maid. They tipped daily, I saved my tip until the end of the week.

They received extra beverages in their fridge, daily towel art, flowers, extra towels & face cloths, little "extras" that the maids sometimes do, etc. We got nothing - just the basic cleaning.

We have gone back to the daily tipping :)