We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

New York
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

Hi All -

Leaving Monday for the Melia Caribe to celebrate my 30th bday. I keep reading about the Royal Service many have upgraded to and want to ask those who have experienced it - is it really worth the $$ to upgrade? My bf and I are very easy travelers. As long as we don't go hungry and can relax - we are happy campers. But if this service is worth the extra money - maybe we will splurge. Your thoughts/advice are appreciated. 30 is a big birthday!

New York
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

anyone out there able to help me out regarding the Royal Service @ Melia Caribe and whether or not it's really worth the extra $$

edmonton alberta
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

Although it is a personal thing - from our view - yes it was well worth it

..works as assurance for hassle free holiday. They are just always there to make sure you have a wonderful vacation and it is an added layer of personalized service.

The one perk we liked is the dinner reservation service. With Royal Service you just need to stop by the desk and they make the reservation for you with ease, and Royal get preferential reservations (better times etc) From others we spoke to in the non royal section it was not so easy.

Access to Gabi for dining etc is also another added benefit to Royal.

Also, Royal get a nice section on the beach with drink service (although the beach is beautiful in all sections)

Royal services offers other perks that make it a pampered vacation.

We did enjoy our holiday at Melia. At the time we stayed there it was our first trip to Punta Cana.

Some people don't care about the Royal Service and have a wonderful holiday without it of course - everyone is different. Depends what you are looking for

Enjoy and happy birthday to you!!

From the website they list the perks of Royal as follows - it that sounds good to you, or if some are important to you, then maybe it is worth it.

Private lounge for check in / check out and customer service

Local newspapers and The Miami Herald available (on request)

Special amenities in the room such as a pillow menu and butler

Access to Gabi Club which features a lagoon pool, Balinese beds, snack-bar,

Solarium with sand, a la carte restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner, nightly entertainment and cocktail service

Transportation to the private beach

Access to the Royal Service lounge offering:

Daily continental breakfast,

Free Internet access

Coffee and tea all day, premium beverages, cocktails and snack service during the day and help desk with a butler and concierge

Private beach area and bar

Room service from 7 am to 11:00 pm

Laundry ($)

Priority reservations for a la carte restaurants

Personalised presentation of the Resort

Preparation of hot tub with prior reservation

Preferential reservations for the 2 YHI Wellness

Preferential reservations for golf, tennis and other activities

Personalized wake-up call

New York
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

Winner101 -

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I agree with you in that it is a personal preference. The dinner reservation process and the Gabi dining experience are both the lead factors for me in terms of this upgrade being worth it. And beach drink service is a nice touch as well. I leave in a few days so have time to think about it. Thank you again for your help.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

I'm going for the first time in February and would love to know thoughts as well.

In case you weren't aware, here are the costs to upgrade:

Royal Service Deluxe Suite : 50, 00 US $ per adult and per night

Royal Service Master Suite : 70, 00 US $ per adult and per night

Royal Service One Bedroom Master Suite : 90, 00 US $ per adult and per night

Royal Beach Suite : 100, 00 US $ per adult and per night.

Pretty steep so I doubt we will upgrade - we'll probably wait and see about upgrading once we're there if we don't like the room that we're given.

Have a very happy birthday celebration in Punta Cana!

New York
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

momluvstorun -

I agree with you in that the upgrade is a little "steep." We aren't travelers who require much so might not be necessary but just something to look into given the added amentities. We too plan to wait until we get there to see about a possible upgrade. Maybe they can do a little something extra for my 30th. Can't hurt to ask.

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
81 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

Hello Knighty & Momluvstorun,

We stayed at the Melia in June 2012 and did not upgrade. Big mistake! We talked to people that had the upgrade and they loved the Gabi and private pool. The regular pool is in need of repair. Also, it is a long walk to get a drink if you are on the beach since there is no beach bar for the regular folks. We had to go all the way back to either the restaurant or the pool bar. With the upgrade you have a beach bar. When we checked in they tried to sell us the upgrade and I think you have some dickering that would be possible. So I would try to pay a bit less. Also, one of the people that checked in next to us got a free upgrade just because their travel agent sent a request ahead of time. Might want to give that a try.

Good Luck and have a nice trip,

Ellen

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

what is the cost of regular all inclusive for 2012? getting mixed costs, ie 76 vs 57?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

Mom, going back for 4th visit next week and have never used Royal Service, as I have been happy with the regular rooms. I enjoy the 12 min walk from beach to lobby, and I found the rooms fine. I always found that being polite and a smile went all long way if the room wasn't satisfactory. If they upgrade me, great, it's a new experience.

Ivannah : what time of year are you going? Out of Toronto you get a package deal. Not sure where you got 57 and 76 from.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

RCI website posts 76 as the rate. $57 rate posted by some members on various travel sights for 2012. Yes always cheaper on a package. Going with a friend that has an rci membership. Can't give mine away.

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Service Upgrade @ Melia Caribe... thoughts?

I am currently at Paradisus Palma Real but have stayed at Melia Caribe numerous times. 100% recommend upgrading to Royal Service

Any questions let me know

Kyle