We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchanges?

Shelbyville, Indiana
Level Contributor
75 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchanges?

Will we be needing to exchange currency once we're there? I had heard the we wouldn't need to, that the hotel employees accept American Dollars. But what if we venture outside of the resort for shopping, etc?

Thank you all for you input :)

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchanges?

USD is accepted everywhere on and off the resort

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchanges?

no Need to excahnge Your US$ into local pesos.

US$ is a all around accepted Currency.

Happy travels

Mike

Hamilton,Ontario
Level Contributor
335 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchanges?

I have always used only US money, and never encountered any problems.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchanges?

thats good to know ! Thats for the input ;-)

Shelbyville, Indiana
Level Contributor
75 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchanges?

Thanks everyone!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,235 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchanges?

All the above ie correct HOWEVER many times you will get better prices especially off the resort (and even at the shops at the resort) if you pay in pesos. Last year while we were at the ME for a mini escape I had to buy a small adaptor at the resort store. The price was in dollars. I asked how much in pesos as I NEVER carry USD with me. Well the cost was $5 US or 100 pesos ( less then $3).

Your best bet for exchanging will be to use your ATM card. The resort will give you a terrible exchange rate. Do let your bank know you are traveling here. If not they will put a hold on your card the first time you use it fearing fraud.

BObK

7. Re: Currency Exchanges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 00:42