We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TUI and visas

burnley
Level Contributor
412 posts
29 reviews
TUI and visas

I booked a holiday back in November for two weeks in May 2018 now TUI have told me I have to buy a visa either on line or when I get to punta cana.Thats ok but will there be anybody collecting them or selling them in May when by then its supposed to be in the price of the holiday.

28 replies to this topic
Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
44,493 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: TUI and visas

As the new rules are supposed to be implemented on 1/4/18 it should be up to TUI UK to pay for your tourist cards, they should send you an email notifying that they will be billing you as Amy was emailed in this thread, even though she was reimbursed due to the delay.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147…

There would be no opportunities to purchase them online as the online site would be closed down I would have thought and no staff selling them either at the airport after 1/4/18.

Another TUI UK mess that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Angie.

burnley
Level Contributor
412 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: TUI and visas

Thank you for your reply Angelina52 What do you think I should do, should I wait and see what Tui get up to.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,493 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: TUI and visas

Yes I would wait and see what TUI will do next as the ball is in their court to include the tourist card payment on all flights/packages flying to the DR from 1/4/18.

Angie.

burnley
Level Contributor
412 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: TUI and visas

Thank you very much for your answer Angelina52.Have a good holiday yourself.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,493 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: TUI and visas

Just to add TUI will have to pay the DR government so they will end up contacting you, cap in hand for the payment.

Angie.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: TUI and visas

Just to clarify, the roll out for including the tourist tax in the airline ticket has been moved back until 1st April 2018?

I have just recently (this week) booked flights only with TUI for June 2018. My documentation says I will need to purchase $10 tourist card on arrival. Should I assume that is not the case (assuming if implemented in April 2018), and that TUI will be coming after me for the $10 per person tax?

Just trying to get an understanding as what to expect.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,493 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: TUI and visas

Philip,

Seems as though TUI have not updated their confirmation document paperwork and are using old information that is being sent out by their automated system. Personally I would contact TUI and ask them for clarifcation if they have included the tourist card fee in your final balance paid for your flight June 2018 or not as it will be in force for all flights/packages bought from 1/4/18. If not then expect an email at a later date for payment of the tourist card.

Angie.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
180 posts
129 reviews
8. Re: TUI and visas

We haven't heard anything yet and we fly in the third week in April.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: TUI and visas

Thanks Angelina.

Sounds like a wait and see. I assume there will be no option for me to pay the tax locally by June (assuming all goes to plan in the DR), so either I'll have to stump up to TUI or I'll get away with it. Either way, I'm not going to worry about it for a few months but will keep an eye on developments here :-)

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,493 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: TUI and visas

You are correct there will be no option to pay for the tourist card on arrival or by pre purchasing it online, the DGII website will close down and there will be no staff on arrival to process any tourist cards from 1/4/18 if as you say all goes to plan, it is up to TUI UK to get their finger out and get this sorted in house, which seems at present they are very slow to get it sorted out and give the correct info to their customers.

Angie.

Reply to: TUI and visas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted