We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

Lake Country, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

I am staying at the Gran Ventana Feb 17-24 and very interested in making my way to 27 Charcos without doing a tour. Has anyone taken the bus from Puerto Plata to the site? Any tips? (or warnings)

Isaira Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, City Tours
Runners Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

Exactly loanlady.......glad to hear you have reconsidered this dangerous excursion......the warnings that both BobK and myself give out are not to be taken lightly........some people do go against our warnings like Pawelglasgow above but its their decision and everyone has the right to do what they wish in their life, but they have been very lucky at not getting injured whilst doing the trip..... I am sorry to say they are in the minority as many have come back from the trip with sprains, nasty cuts and bruises and of course the devastation with family members that have lost their lives......its just not worth the supposedly adrenaline rush in my estimation.

Angie.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

Pawelglasgow

"they will make sure you will be fine All negative post coming from overweighted or old people"

Are you crazy? If they will make sure you will be fine then why have people DIED doing this tour? Not to mention the countless number of cuts bruises or broken limbs.

I am a trained lifeguard. I am not over weight (and that would be the proper spelling of over weight) nor, am I old...bottom line this tour is dangerous.

If you want to risk your life for a few moments of fun then it is your choice, but when those people died doing this excursion do you think their families said well it's okay they had fun!

Bob lives in Sosua, so he probably hears even more about accidents than ever get reported.

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

Doing extreme activities like the waterfalls should be banned for kids or people with no training, specially during rainy season. I personally like the waterfalls, because I enjoy the challenge. At the same time I acknowledge the fact that people can get killed or bruised doing this and other similar activities.

This is why DR government officials must appoint a supervisor ( like they do to Pico Duarte ) so this tour remains closed during rainy season, and force its operators to follow strict guidelines and tell people what`s good and bad about it so everyone knows who should and should not attempt it. It`s so sad to hear about Adam, but I wonder how old he was and why would a father have a yound child try such a tour, obviously dangerous for kids and untrained adults.

Butler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

I have read this forum and actually Angie you had sent someone else a link not too long ago about this and the website about Adam. This was an excursion that I was wanting to do, but after reading the website about Adam and numberous other posts; I have concluded not to take this one. I value my life more than a few moments of andreline rush. A tour like this needs to be regulated so there are not any more unfortunate deaths or accidents. Thank you Angie and I hope others will head your advice as well.

Tonia

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

I did this in Oct when i went, And again i hadnt heard anything about the deaths there. You have to think, although they may not have the same training standards as other countries these people do this every day, for years and years... The guides are very friendly and dont put pressure on you, if you dont feel comfortable doing the jumps they wont make you do them, I didnt want to jump from them, i prefered to slide down the ones i could. I have to admit that i had a great day, and i would do it again. I got the bus there from outside our hotel, and it only cost about 50 pesos, I heard if you got a taxi it was about $20. A tip is to pay is pesos if you can as it worked out cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

Me too.

Anne

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

Hi Tonia,

Some will heed the advice some wont, it will be up to them....I just hope the wish for that adrenaline rush does not end up with heartache and pain for the family members that they leave behind.

Angie.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

Thank you for the info on the falls, we are going -two families- and the other family wanted to do this excursion....i'm glad that i could pass on this info to them, because it sounded too risky to me since they first mentioned it

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

Hi doucey,

Glad you came across this thread warning of the dangers with going to the waterfalls, at least you have the info to pass onto the other family.

Angie.

20. Re: 27 Waterfalls - getting there from Puerto Plata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:32