We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuba info

Palo Alto...
11 posts
Cuba info

Thanks for responses I got yesterday - new questions

Any recommendations for a casa in the Vedado area for 1 or 2 nites

Or a 4-5 star hotel, around the Hotel National - but other than that hotel

Is the exchange rate the same at the airport as in town?. I know to use banks in town - just checking

Favorite resturants (dinner) in Trinidad and Havana.... including one that might be a treat for one of our dinners

What do we need to do to use our phone - is it even possible?

Any must not miss sights or places in Trinidad not in the tourist book?

TXS everyone

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Cuba info

I'm asking the same questions. I'm headed to Cuba from the USA on 19 January (Miami-1, Havana-3, Vinales-2, Trinidad-3, Havana-1, Miami).

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
147 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Cuba info

Is it possible for US citizens to travel without a group and then plan day trips, history, homestays, B&B, baseball games, music? I have multiple sclerosis and walk with two canes or a walker/rollator; makes it extremely difficult to keep up with any walking tours. My husband Sam, however, walks daily.

Any and all information appreciated.

Betz Miller

Santa Rosa CA

p.s. We would also like to visit Barbados, is it possible to there from Cuba?

Caimito, Cuba
Level Contributor
21,293 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Cuba info

I don't think there are any true 5 star hotels in Vedado, and am not so sure about 4 star either.

Exchange rate ? US dollar should be the same everywhere. Other currencies - best, banks; then normal cadecas; cadecas in hotels/airports - but the differences are usually quite minor unless they are scamming you.

Restaurants - see lahabana.com/guide/…

Phone - I believe that at least one US company has announced it has roaming in Cuba - check with your provider. Or you can rent a Cuban line.

Surely pretty much ALL of Trinidad is in the tourist book ?

Betz - many US visitors arrange everything themselves. I don't think there are direct flights from Cuba to Barbados. https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g14…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Cuba info

@2 "Is it possible for US citizens to travel without a group and then plan day trips, history, homestays, B&B, baseball games, music?"

Many many 1000's of USAers have done this

Check this verrry long thread if necessary and ask questions

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g14…

However the very short answer is that....

If flying via direct from US via a charter company you simple tick a box in and sign an affidavit saying that you meet one of the 12 requirements for legal travel to Cuba.* If flying via a 3rd country there is no form unless it is on the same airline originating in US. Again your travel is only legal if you meet one of those criteria.

Note that other than people-to-people category the expectation is that "The traveler’s schedule of activities must not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule in Cuba"

There have been no reports of anyone having to prove this on return. NO ONE has been fined for illegal travel to Cuba for last 10 years.

PS I don't think there are direct flights b/n Cuba and Barbados

* 12 categories:

Travel-related transactions are permitted by general license for certain travel related to the

following activities, subject to criteria and conditions in each general license: family visits;

official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental

organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational

activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other

competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of

private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission

of information or information materials; and certain authorized export transactions

Edited: 09 January 2016, 02:11
Palo Alto...
11 posts
5. Re: Cuba info

Yes it is possible, however - it takes a lot of research. Even if you and your husband have different physical abilities. Any tour leader or organization should be savvy enough to accommodate you both. While others walk, you can be comfortable doing what you can or sitting in a cafe/park...

If you are comfortable doing the research - plan ahead for the cities you will be in and find out what is around if you don't want to walk. As for going to Barbados - I suggest checking with anyone of the cruise ships that travel to Cuba. Start with googling: getting to Barbados from Cuba..

Good luck

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Cuba info

OP

1/. Don't get hung up on finding perfect casa - as generalisation casas of a similar price are of a similar quality - provide to reputable Havana based agency general area, price you are willing to pay and dates.

e.g.

www.cubaccommodation.com/contact_us.asp…

http://www.yourowncuba.com/

Note price could range from 25 CUC for basic room to 200 plusCUC for apartment with swimming pool (mind you we paid more than that in both San Francisco and LA recently with NO swimming pool!).

2/. The obvious one is Hotel Habana Libre which would cost about the same as apartment with pool!

Book using either of the above agencies or

http://www.cubatravelnetwork.com/

3/. Effectively the exchange is the same

4/. Like casa recos. too much to do with personal taste - we could give 50 of our favourite restaurants for those 2 cities

Have a look at

http://www.lahabana.com/guide/

(and in particular the January issue)

5/.Simplest is to use email or wifi.

6/. ditto 4/.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Cuba info

PS further to @4 any decent Guidebook would enable you to come with possible range of such activities either that you both self organise or then using any of the agencies I have provided links to.

santa cruz...
Level Contributor
394 posts
8. Re: Cuba info

@4 - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; -) sincerely, L

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Cuba info

@8 Besos to you too. Sincerely K!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,322 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Cuba info

Great info HKarina. That's a lot of detail. Thanks for helping.

Edited: 09 January 2016, 03:13