We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SCUBA tags for a new years trip

2 posts
SCUBA tags for a new years trip

My wife and I will be in Bonaire for the last week of December and the first week of January. Everything I have read says the tags that let you use the marine park are valid for "one calendar year". Does this mean we will have to get a tag when we first get down there and then another on January first or is there some kind of grace period at the beginning of the year?

5 replies to this topic
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
393 posts
1. Re: SCUBA tags for a new years trip

Yes 1 year from date and you MUST keep the reciept to prove. You tag will not get you in the park, Washington Slagbaai, only the reciept. If questioned you can go back to you room and get the reciept.

bonaire
2 posts
2. Re: SCUBA tags for a new years trip

Scuba tags are valid for one calendar year. From January the first till December the 31st. The new tags will be out by mid December for the following year. You should be fine.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
393 posts
3. Re: SCUBA tags for a new years trip

https://stinapabonaire.org/nature-tags/

I stand corrected. It is calandar year. You still need to present your reciept for entrance to the WS park.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: SCUBA tags for a new years trip

We've been on Bonaire for Christmas and New Years weeks for the past 9 years, usually for the last two weeks in December and the first week in January. Depending on timing of our arrival we either purchase a pass for the upcoming year or continue using the pass from the previous year.

It all depends on what the dive shops have in stock when we arrive. I.e. the currently available tag when we check in is the tag we use for the entire trip. We've never been asked to purchase a 2nd tag part way through our trip. I inquired about it once and was told that enforcement by the BNMP is fairly lenient as long as there's some obvious effort at compliance.

2 posts
5. Re: SCUBA tags for a new years trip

Thanks, this is exactly the info I was looking for.

Reply to: SCUBA tags for a new years trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted