We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

Level Contributor
201 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

Hello!

This will be our first visit and we are going to dive!

I have gathered info on pricing from dive shops for air, car rentals, and accommodations, including various combos of companies. I've managed to compile a total Room/Truck/Air cost for every combination, but I don't feel like I can make a decision because the Black Durgon Inn remains somewhat mysterious to me.

I found a lovely accommodation with vehicle right next to Dive Friends at Hamlet Oasis Resort, but before I commit I want to compare. Black Durgon doesn't do email very often as far as I can tell..

Can anyone tell me about your experiences there? I read somewhere that instead of unlimited air they provide 3 tanks a day, but then no reviews complain about a lack of tanks.

I also read about a limit on how many tanks one may take at a time due to theft concerns, but another highly reputable dive shop just told me it isn't an issue and i can take as many as i want.

Lastly, if I was to just dive right in at either location, would one be a preferable snorkeling and dive site over the other or are they both amazing?

Mentioned in this post
Hamlet Oasis Resort
Hamlet Oasis Resort
121 Reviews
Bonaire
Coral Paradise Resort
Coral Paradise Resort
#1 of 22 hotels in Kralendijk
Sand Dollar Condominiums
Sand Dollar Condominiums
#6 of 22 hotels in Kralendijk
Buddy Dive Resort
Buddy Dive Resort
#7 of 22 hotels in Kralendijk
9 replies to this topic
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

We stayed there in 2008. Never since. 3 tanks per day. Poor rinse facilities.Small wall the house dive site is really good but not worth staying in the run down black dungeon.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

Do yourself a favor and delete Black Durgeon from your consideration. Even driving by the place looks run down. Owner or manager is rude and very short with requests to dive on his house reef. Stopped by in April to ask if it was possible to dive on his house reef. Can honestly say it's the only negative experience I have had in Bonaire the five times I have been there. Just got a little further North and dive back towards the South if you want to dive that site.

Place looks very run down. MANY places in Bonaire for you to stay. I would definitely choose Hamlet Oasis before the Black Dungeon..opps sorry. Not really.

Not normally one to post or offer an opinion but in this case I felt I had too. Apologies to all for being negative but I hope this has helped in your search for accommodation.

Good Luck.

Edited: 06 September 2017, 02:11
Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Hamlet Oasis Resort
Hamlet Oasis Resort
121 Reviews
Bonaire
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

Also check out BonaireTalk.com it's been around for over 15 yrs. I stayed at Black Durgeon a couple of nights. Was very run down and that was over 13 yrs ago. Owner is rude, all true

Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
412 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

Have never stayed there but I will add it doesn't have much curb appeal. So many wonderful places to stay in bonaire I'm not sure I would stay at the black surgeon.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

We've been visiting Bonaire regularly for over 20 years, have spent 31 weeks on the island, and have enjoyed at least 10 different properties during that time. Black Durgon doesn't even make our "maybe someday" list. Not beacause we thinks it's "bad", but because we think there are many better properties to choose from.

Hamlet Oasis Resort has some nice villas, and the proximity to DFB's Hamlet dive shop and the Cliff dive site is very convenient. Alexandra and the crew at the dive shop are great. But I suggest avoiding Hamlet Oasis villas that back up to the main road and those that line the northern driveway into the resort and dive shop etc. Traffic in those areas can be a bit disruptive if you like to spend quiet time on your patio.

Either property has decent snorkeling and great diving. Black Durgon doesn't permit the public to access Small Wall via their property, so it doesn't get as much attention as the Cliff. The Cliff gets diver traffic from dive boats, from shore divers driving in to DFB's shop, from Hamlet Oasis guests, from Coral Paradise guests, and from Habitat guests. It's rare to not see other divers underwater when diving there, but I wouldn't call it congested.

One final pedantic note regarding some of the replies above: "Black Durgon" is named after a common local fish (also called black triggerfish.) There is no such fish as a "durgeon" (spelled with an "e".) But there is a river in France called the Durgeon. :-)

Edited: 06 September 2017, 20:56
Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Hamlet Oasis Resort
Hamlet Oasis Resort
121 Reviews
Bonaire
Coral Paradise Resort
Coral Paradise Resort
549 Reviews
Bonaire
Level Contributor
201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

Thank you!

Level Contributor
201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

Wow thank you all that pretty much sums it up and I will spend my 50th birthday with unlimited tanks, nitrox, individual dive locker, and only polite people!! The tips for the Hamlet are especially helpful about the driveway to the DF drivethrough and the main road. THANK YOU ALL!!!

Level Contributor
201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

ps Thank you wwguy for pointing out the spelling issue, that is now going to forever haunt me lol. And greetings from over here in Idaho Falls, I hope you don't have as much smoke as we do!

Level Contributor
201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort

This makes me so wary of tripadvislr reviews!

Reply to: Desperate for info on Black Durgon Inn vs Hamlet Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted