We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelled flights

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cancelled flights

United cancelled this week's flight. If you are on the island you may want to rebook your return on Delta. I'm trying to get to Atlanta tonight from Houston and get to Bonaire on their Sunday flight. It's not even that bad weather here in Houston airport - just steady rain. I suspect United redeployed the plane for a more profitable route.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
12 replies to this topic
Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelled flights

That is one problem with the limited number of flights to Bonaire, if you miss one it may be a week before you can get another one and that plays havoc with hotel reservations on the Bonaire end. Living in the Atlanta area means that we are pretty "safe". but people who take the United flight out of Newark frequently have problems in the winter. A couple of years ago some friends of ours who live in New England (various ones in RI, MA, and CT) were taking the Newark flight but the weekend of their return to New England a bad storm hit the Newark area and the flight got cancelled. The people coming missed out on a week in Bonaire but our friends "had" to stay another week in the warmth instead of returning to the cold and snow.

Some of those friends now travel via Delta from Atlanta to reduce (but not eliminate) such problems.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelled flights

"Redeployed the plane for a more profitable route" is unlikely. Major airlines don't operate this way out of the blue (pun intended.)

It's more likely that the route over the storm between Houston and Bonaire isn't deemed safe or practical to fly around. Also possible that the inbound aircraft used for this flight was not able to arrive in Houston prior to the Bonaire flight.

Per the travel advisory on their website United is currently issuing travel waivers for all flight between August 25 and 29 operating out of the following airports:

Austin, TX (AUS)

Brownsville, TX (BRO)

College State, TX (CLL)

Corpus Christi, TX (CRP)

Harlingen, TX (HRL)

Houston, TX (IAH)

Lake Charles, LA (LCH)

Laredo, TX (LRD)

McAllen, TX (MFE)

San Antonio, TX (SAT)

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Austin
Austin
Texas
Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancelled flights

Nope, The inbound aircraft from PDX landed early in Houston. The storm was already over mainland Texas. If I could fly east to Atlanta on Delta, why couldn't United fly east then south .... it was not en route to fly due south into the storm. Nice for you to give them benefit of the doubt. Only plausible reason I can give is the crew was coming in on another plane that was diverted. I'll give them that. Hope those "stuck" another week aren't horribly inconvenienced (image children at home, 7 more nights hotel and food, work obligations? Why cancel and not reschedule??)

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancelled flights

Per local news all non hub and some international flights were cancelled due to Harvey. Still irks me that they cancelled a 1x per week flight and didn't try to fly later. Oh, well. Some fellow passengers at the luggage carousel were thankful for their trip insurance. My husband is waiting for me down there and god willing I will be safely on the Delta flight tomorrow.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancelled flights

Good luck getting to and on the Delta flight!

Peoria, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancelled flights

I was wondering if you were able to make it to Bonaire through Delta in Atlanta? I am scheduled to fly this Saturday, which looks like it may be ok. The Houston International Airport is tenatively scheduled to reopen on Thursday. I may want to take the United Travel Waiver and reschedule a for a week later just in case. Hope everything worked out, and you are in beautiful Bonaire.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Peoria, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancelled flights

I was wondering if you were able to make it to Bonaire through Delta in Atlanta? I am scheduled to fly this Saturday, which looks like it may be ok. The Houston International Airport is tenatively scheduled to reopen on Thursday. I may want to take the United Travel Waiver and reschedule a for a week later just in case. Hope everything worked out, and you are in beautiful Bonaire.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancelled flights

I would not go anywhere near the Houston airport anytime soon if I could avoid it. Really terrible.

#houstonstrong.

B.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancelled flights

I was scheduled to go through Houston to Bonaire Saturday 9/2 - got tired of watching all the horrible weather reports and airport closed - bailed, and booked a flight through Atlanta on Delta Saturday. Signing up for their credit card knocked a third off the ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Chicago
Destination Expert