We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
803 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

I am making my first trip to Bonaire soon and planning to stay at Harbour Village. I'm the only diver and we need a beach for my non-diving, beach-loving significant other.

I probably will rent a car but most of my dives will probably be with the onsite dive shop. I visited Curacao a few months ago and stayed at the Hilton... the reef at the Hilton (if you can call it that) was dead. The only thing of interest I saw diving there was a huge pile of liquor bottles. I did the rest of my dives with the Dive Bus, which I loved! It was a great way to meet other divers and to see other parts of the island and dive other reefs. Any thoughts or comparisons? Will I be disappointed if I do most of my dives at/near the Harbour Village with Great Adventures? Is there any company like the Dive Bus on Bonaire?

Is the beach at the Harbour Village busy with boats since it's on a marina? I don't mind a few boats but don't want to have to worry about them zipping by while just swimming in front of the hotel.

I currently have a ground floor room facing the marina at the hotel reserved since they couldn't guarantee a balcony for a courtyard, second floor room. I don't have to have an ocean front but does anyone have any knowledge about the difference between a ground floor marina facing room vs a courtyard room and which is more quiet or preferable, in general?

Ive wanted to visit Bonaire for years and am excited I will finally get to visit!

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
11 replies to this topic
Pa.
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

I would hope that diving with the onsite operator would mean you will not have to dive at the hotel. We stay at a place with a full service dive shop and when we do go out on boat dives with them, they are never near the hotel. I cannot answer specifics about the layout there and I cannot imagine them taking you only in front of the hotel to dive....for that purpose, you could just shore dive and not pay them.

Pa.
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

Bonaire is our favorite place to dive, you should not be disappointed!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
803 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

Thanks... yeah, they have a boat so they do leave the hotel. I was just wondering about their house reef for shore diving. I guess I need to look at their dive schedule, if they have one. I don't know much about the dive sites yet.. but know I wanna do the pier and Hilma Hooker. :)

Mentioned in this post
Hilma Hooker
Hilma Hooker
211 Reviews
Bonaire
Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
390 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

I think harbour village is just North of something special. ( On the other side of the marina) my scuba friends love that spot. Are you going to have a truck? So much shore diving and I would hate for you to miss that as it's part of the experience. We snorkel but we love going from spot to spot. Not too many great beaches as they are mostly rubble. Lac bay would be the one that comes to mind or windsock. Book the aquaspace for a barbecue tour. It leaves from the marina and the meal is really good. Enjoy!!!

Pa.
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

I thought they closed the town pier dive??? Anyone know?

If so, the salt pier dive site is wonderful and you can dive it when ships are not in. I wasn't expecting much when we did it a few years ago and it is now one of my favorite dives. Saw a great frogfish there last year. That place is near something special which is another great dive.

Buy this booklet before you go. It is a great guide and tells you about all sites, access by land or boat, if it is a good snorkel site, etc. Invaluable, small, and inexpensive.

http://www.bsdme.info/

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
361 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

The town pier has been closed to diving since 2008 or 2009, thanks mostly to the increasing number of cruise ships arriving there every year.

Further south, Cargill's Salt Pier is open to diving whenever there isn't a ship moored there taking on salt.

Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

Our on site dive operation, Great Adventures Bonaire, offers a mixture of boat diving and shore diving from Harbour Village Beach Club. We run 2 one tank boat dives a day, 9am and 2pm, where we can get to 61 dive sites within a 20 min boat ride. Here you get the opportunity to see the best that Bonaire has to offer. Add to this our full concierge dive service and you get a luxury trip that gives you the time to mix and chat to other divers. We also run a one tank night boat trip on Wednesday evenings and we usually visit the "Hilma Hooker" on Thursday mornings. During the week we try not to visit the same site twice.

The boat schedule allows ample time to get back for a nice leisurely lunch at La Balandra before heading out again.

We also have the dive site across the marina entrance , "something special". which is a short swim from the beach and we also have a wreck, 'Our Confidence" at 60ft, artificial reef and a coral restoration project right off our beach. The fish life at the resort is fantastic!

if you have any queries about the diving at Harbour Village please feel free to contact me directly at gab@harbourvillage.com and I will be happy to answer you.

Christine Ball

PADI Course Director

Dive Operations Manager

Great Adventures Bonaire

Mentioned in this post
Hilma Hooker
Hilma Hooker
211 Reviews
Bonaire
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
114 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

When will you be on island?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
803 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

Thanks for the info, Christine. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and I hope to meet you during my trip in late October.

I'm really looking forward to the trip and to some great diving!! I will contact you directly with some additional questions.

Chester (aka Mike) :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
803 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village

I will be there the last week of Oct through the first week of November.

Reply to: Questions about first trip, diving, and Harbour Village
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted