We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Trip - Recommendations

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
521 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Short Trip - Recommendations

Hello, we will be visiting Bonaire probably for 2 days, 1 night when we are in Curacao. I am looking for some recommendations...

Flights - Any days better to fly than others? We are flexible, will probably use Divi Divi.

Car Rental - Good rates, reliable company, want to pick-up and drop off at the airport

Lodging - would like to stay in the $150 range. I was thinking maybe Lac Bay if that's an option or else somewhere along the coast in Kralendijk or surrounding area.

Food - Want to know the best places to experience the real flavor of the island...looking for inexpensive and casual - food stands/stalls/trucks or beach bars with good, local food...even simple things like empanadas/pastechi. Are there any dishes that are unique to Bonaire?

Suggestions on any of the above would be much appreciated!!

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Lac Bay
Lac Bay
904 Reviews
Bonaire
4 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
521 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Trip - Recommendations

Okay, from the looks of it, we will be relegated to either the Caribbean Club or Courtyard, lol. They are both more than suitable for us. Any opinions on the two?

It looks like the Caribbean Club is a little farther up the coast and the Courtyard is just across from the airport. I'm thinking since we are there for such a short time, perhaps the Courtyard makes the most sense.

Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
386 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Trip - Recommendations

I'm sure the courtyard is fine and really new. With just two days I'm sure the options are more limited. Kite city is a good food truck where you can get seafood and it's close to wear you are staying. I love the beach bar at lac bay for fish nuggets. Make sure you drive up the coast to Rincon and through gotomeer. We like the restaurant mi banana. Not fancy or expensive but nice people. AB car rental was good for us.

Mentioned in this post
Kite City
Kite City
955 Reviews
Bonaire
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
Pa.
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Trip - Recommendations

Second Kite City food truck or Cactus Blue (might have changed names, but a little further down), both excellent. MiBanana was recommended to us as well for local food, we will try it on our next trip.

Have used AB car rental several times as well as Poppy, both great. AB had much newer vehicles.

Mentioned in this post
Kite City
Kite City
955 Reviews
Bonaire
Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
386 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Trip - Recommendations

It's still cactus blue and it's further south and usually parked on the side of the road. At least last Feb. New owner I think.

Reply to: Short Trip - Recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted