We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning rental car return

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning rental car return

Is returning a rental car at 5:00 A.M. on Sunday morning a problem on Bonaire? For those of you who fly out at 6:30 on Sunday morning on United, how early do you need to be at the airport?

5 replies to this topic
Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning rental car return

I use Budget, and they come in very early on Sunday morning. There is also the option of getting your boarding pass and checking in your luggage, and then walking back to the rental car office and turning in the keys to your rental car. I would suggest getting to the airport around 5:30 am.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning rental car return

I've never had to make one of those early flights, but......

I know of several people who did have that early rental car return to worry about. The most common solution seems to be to return the car the afternoon prior and then schedule a taxi for the early morning trip to the airport. If the car rental company says/promises they will be at the airport early, then returning it then may be OK, but taking a taxi to the airport will eliminate several possible concerns. Of course, then all you have to worry about is whether the taxi is going to show on schedule. One time I had agreed to be the "backup" in case the taxi did not show and, sure enough, we were awakened at 5:30 by a pounding on our door when the taxi did not show. I dressed quickly and got them to the airport in good time and later found out that it was not the taxi's fault: the hotel manager had forgotten to arrange the taxi as she had promised.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning rental car return

Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to return the car on Saturday and stay at a hotel that has a shuttle.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning rental car return

if you stay that night at the Marriott Courtyard, you could even walk to the airport if you wanted/needed to. Not sure if they run a shuttle, but I suspect they do.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning rental car return

For the last 3 trips we have used Island Carrental. We also fly on United's early Sunday morning flight. I drop my wife with the bags at the airport then drive across the street to the rental lot, leave the car, then drop the keys in their after hours slot. The walk back takes less than 5 minutes. FYI our flight in arrives after they are closed but the property manager meets us and takes us to the house Saturday night. Island sends someone to pick us up on Sunday morning so we can get our car, no additional charge.

Reply to: Early morning rental car return
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted