We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United from/to Houston

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
United from/to Houston

Hi, I'm starting to look at tickets for March 2018. United shows a flight to Bonaire from Houston on Saturday but no return on the following Saturday. Last year on Saturday the United flight left right ahead of our Delta flight. Does anyone know if the Saturday return on United to Houston will show up eventually?

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
9 replies to this topic
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United from/to Houston

The flight from Houston arrives on Bonaire Saturday evening and returns to Houston on Sunday morning.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
409 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United from/to Houston

There was a return to New Jersey. Two years ago we did the Houston flight but returned to New Jersey. Just make sure you have hours to catch your next flight. We missed our connection because we had to get our luggage and then recheck in. One of our worst experiences ever but might be okay for you.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United from/to Houston

You will have to get your luggage and recheck it no matter what airport you land in as it is your first stop in the U.S.

This is standard immigrations and customs policy

B.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
135 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United from/to Houston

Clearing customs/immigration with your bags and them putting them back into the system is not the same as having to check in for another flight. It will take much longer to clear customs, claim your bags and check in again. Just make sure which you will be doing.

Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
409 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United from/to Houston

We didn't have to do it when we flew from Toronto to Houston. I guess customs in Canada covered this? They told me too thank 911 for this. We had two hours layover but that is insufficient. Took 20 minutes for the plane to get attached to the airport and let us embark. Then the wait to retrieve our luggage then recheck and get to another terminal. I just wish they wouldn't book connections that are not doable. I have been delayed before but always managed to make it through. United offered us $100 if we fly again with them the next year.

Edited: 17 August 2017, 17:19
Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United from/to Houston

We would have a four hour layover in Houston. Last year clearing customs in Atlanta was a circus which is why we are considering Houston this year. I asked if it was unusually busy and the person said it was a typical Saturday night. Maybe it will be the same there but it's worth a shot.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United from/to Houston

Traveling from Toronto to Houston you pre clear immigrations and customs in Toronto and you land as a domestic flight in the U.S.

It does not work this way when going from Bonaire to the U.S. If you are on one ticket you will land in the U.S. pass through immigrations, pick up your bags go through customs. You will then be able to just hand your checked bag to someone and proceed to your connecting flight after going through domestic TSA security.

I hate connecting through Atlanta as the TSA security checkpoint is poorly run with no lines for TSApre or passengers with elite status.

B.

Edited: 17 August 2017, 20:08
Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
409 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United from/to Houston

Boo, thanks for explaining this. We couldn't understand the difference but this makes sense now. My husband has a chronic illness so nothing funner than spending a night on a bench in an airport food court.

Houston wasn't the prettiest airport but it seemed efficient and we had lunch and no rush or stress at all. For 2018 I'm thrilled there is now a direct flight from Canada

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Arkansas
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United from/to Houston

We are looking at options for April. We will fly down on Saturday on United and back on Sunday on delta. Price was almost the same (try several sites like expedia for best pricing). We wanted to land at 130ish so we could dive that afternoon :) only drawback is a 6am flight back home.

Reply to: United from/to Houston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted