We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

California
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
314 reviews
Save Topic
Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

We are using miles and our miles takes us to Curacao. So far I only see Insel Airlines flying there. Do you know if they fly every day? I did a dummy search and found they have several flights/day but did not look at 7 days. Due to not knowing if they are on time, or perhaps our flight will arrive to Curacao late, we would stay a night in Curacao and head to Bonaire next day. Since we will be renting for a month on Bonaire I'd hate to have a problem getting there and losing a month of paid accommodations ! Can't swim there either.

Mentioned in this post
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
12 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

Before considering Insel Air do a quick search in this forum and read this article. bes-reporter.com/index.php/…

Insel Air is not a dependable airline and you will find many horror stories by searching TA. If you choose to fly through Curaçao instead of directly to Bonaire from the US then consider flying Divi Air from Curaçao. They currently fly seven seater planes but are looking at purchasing larger ones. Flights are getting harder to book with them because of increased passenger numbers due to the problems faced with Insel.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
393 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

We used insel last year and yes they were a nightmare but we did arrive to our destination. They are the most unorganized company. We are using them in 2018 but with the new sunwing direct flight from.canada I hope to not use them in the future. Divi is another option I have heard. Staying overnight in Curacao is a good plan and I'm sure this is a good plan. Then if it's a late flight you won't be unprepared if they cancel the last flight of the day.

Mentioned in this post
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
US
Level Contributor
147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

Stay away from Insel Air!!!

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

Be very careful about booking with Insel. There is no guarantee that their flights will be on time, and sometimes they will be cancelled with no refund. I would book nonstop to Bonaire on United or Delta. Any costs savings are not worth the chance you are taking with Insel.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
California
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

Unfortunately there are no non stops from SFO to Bonaire. I will stay away from Insel and check out Divi. There is not even a non stop from SFO to Curacao. This is why I am needing to make sure that I can get to Bonaire as we will be arriving in Curacao.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

Delta flies non-stop to Bonaire from Atlanta and United flies non-stop from Newark and Houston. Can you get to any of those from SFO? If you have to make a connection for Curaçao anyway it might be worth it to look at these routes. We fly BOS-ATL-BON or BOS-EWR-BON. We have used Divi several times as well but the time spent clearing Customs and Immigration in Curaçao, checking in at Divi and then clearing security adds several hours to the trip, along with the additional worries about getting to the Divi desk if the lines are long at Customs and Immigration.

Edited: 10 August 2017, 11:18
Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

The previous poster is correct. I was referring to flying SFO to ATL or SFO to Houston or SFO to EWR to catch one of the Bobaire nonstops.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
California
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

We were in Curacao last March and it was very easy and fast going thru customs/etc. I will research more. Appreciate great info.

Mentioned in this post
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Concord, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

So you are not flying non-stop to Bonaire - you stop in Curaçao. This leaves you at the mercy of Inselair. Having just flown from Aruba to Bonaire, through Curaçao, with Inselair, I will warn you in the strongest words - do not do it. If you fly through IAH and then onto Bonaire, you will be much happier and it still is only one stop. We lost an entire day in the Curaçao airport due to Inselair's inability to fly a 15 minute flight to Bonaire. They cancelled three similar flights that day and while they eventually brought in a chartered jet from Miami to make the flight, we still sat in the Curaçao airport for 10 hours. Divi is a possibility but because the planes are so small it will be hard to get reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
3,016 Reviews
Aruba
Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
393 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making sure we get to Bonaire from Curacao

Insel air is definitely not for the faint of heart. We used them last year. We had nabbed a flight on Aeroplan last year to Aruba thinking we could just fly from Aruba to Bonaire but you have to fly to Curacao first. Double the pleasure lol. Our friends were on the same flight from Curacao to Bonaire by chance. They called us the day before as we were all travelling to Toronto to say they tried to check in and it said the flight was cancelled. So we went to check in and we were fine. But then our flight from Toronto was delayed. Air Canada tried to get us some help but the airport said you are fine. Got our bags got to the gate and were told it was closed. Had to go to.the insel air office not once but twice and finally got on the flight and got to Curacao and our friends were there and had managed to get on the flight. Stress for all. Since this was the only way other than flying to.the States we booked again this years just three days before sunwing offered a direct flight. We finally decided to cancel the other arrangements and take a flight credit for WestJet because it's just not worth the headache according to my husband. They did get us there but no without significant stress.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Toronto
Toronto