We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

I know this may be a contradiction, but I'm looking for the best compromise.

We are a group of Canadian couple, in Bonaire for a day, off a cruise ship. Some want to lounge on a sandy beach, others want to snorkel.

What is a good place?

thx

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
29 replies to this topic
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

I recommend taking the water taxi over to No Name Beach on the small uninhabited island of Klein Bonaire (Little Bonaire). Bonaire's geology is primarily a mixture of limestone and volcanic rock and the island is not known for it's sandy beaches. The beaches are small, few, and mostly far between.

With 6000+ passengers disgorging from cruise ships on some days the beach/snorkel experience can be a madhouse. If you're on a smaller ship,with no other ships scheduled to arrive the same day, you might enjoy Donkey or Te Amo beaches near the airport. Pink Beach is a bit farther south and has less sand and more coral rubble, but is generally more secluded and less visited by cruise ship tourists.

If not on an organized cruise ship excursion you'll probably need a rental car or scooter etc. to get to most public beaches from the cruise pier. None of the public beaches have facilities or amenities such as bathrooms, lounge chairs, umbrellas, or water etc. If you require something like that you might try Coco Beach, which is within walking distance of the cruise ship pier.

Mentioned in this post
Klein Bonaire
Klein Bonaire
762 Reviews
Bonaire
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Canada
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

Thanks for the info, wwguy, very useful.

Actually we would prefer a beach WITH facilities (chairs, umbrellas, washrooms) for the non-snorkelers. I'll check out Coco beach.

Do you know if cruisers can spend the day at places like Plaza resort, Divi resort, Sand Dollar condos, etc.? I can't seem to find this info...

many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Resort Bonaire
Plaza Resort Bonaire
1,287 Reviews
Bonaire
Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
412 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

I believe you can use the plaza for a fee. We used the beach just to go for a snorkel but there is a larger fee if you want to use all the facilities. Shoot them an email. It was nice there.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

Thx NanfromNapanee.... I'll check it out.

PeteFromNepean

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

Another option is to head out to Lac Bay/Sorobon Beach. This area is known as the windsurfers domain, we we are glad to share with visitors as long as they are a little careful.

Sorobon Beacch is white sand and a very large part of the bay is white sand, 2 - 4 feet deep. You can wade out several hundred yards to the inside part of the reef that separates the bay from the ocean. This reef is good for easy snorkeling as it does not get more than about 5 ft deep. It is a rather long walk across the bay to the reef and, if there are windsurfers around, please do not try to swim/snorkel out to the reef because a snorkeler is almost invisible to us windsurfers.

You can rent lounges ($5 a day, I believe) and there are a couple of beach bars/restaurants with reasonably good food. For bonus points, take a windsurfing lesson: this is probably the best place in the world to learn to windsurf. If you want to give it a try I suggest Bonaire WindsurfPlace as they tend to be more welcoming to beginners than Jibe City. BWP also has a larger area and more lounges available.

There will be taxis/tours available from the cruise ship docks to take you out to Lac Bay and return.

Mentioned in this post
Lac Bay
Lac Bay
931 Reviews
Bonaire
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Jibe City
Jibe City
391 Reviews
Bonaire
Canada
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

thanks for your offer to share your beach with me, a mere snorkeler. I may take you up on your offer, but i'll stay UNDER water, thank you. I once tried wind surfing, and after a disastrous hour i was so sore i could hardly lift a bottle of beer.

But thanks for the info.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

Snorkelers are always welcome at Lac Bay. The only time the windsurfers have a problem with other visitors to Lac Bay is when they tend to congregate and stand in the walkways between the sea grass. These walkways are somewhat narrow, about 20 ft, and windsurfers have to maneuver their boards and sails in and out through this area. Most windsurfers are pretty good at handling their sails, but if a unexpected gust of wind catches a sail, it can get ripped out of the person's grip and could hit someone. We just ask that people move through these walkways fairly quickly, for everyone's sake. Once beyond the walkways and sea grass, there is plenty of room for everyone, although it is a good idea to keep an eye on what is going on around you. The further out into the bay you go, the fewer people and windsurfers. Also, the more experienced windsurfers tend to go further out into the bay and, while they may be going rather fast, they tend to be more watchful and can easily avoid anyone walking across the bay.

Of course, if the wind is below about 14 knots, there will be very few windsurfers around anyway. And by the way, if it has been more than about 5 years since you tried windsurfing, the equipment has gotten much more "beginner friendly" and since that part of the bay does not get more than waist-deep, getting on and off the boards is much easier.

Edited: 07 August 2017, 13:33
Mentioned in this post
Lac Bay
Lac Bay
931 Reviews
Bonaire
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
371 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

LOL, snorkelers don't stay UNDER the water. They float on TOP of it, which is why they occasionally get run over by windsurfers in Lac Bay I'm just sayin'....

Mentioned in this post
Lac Bay
Lac Bay
931 Reviews
Bonaire
Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
412 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

Lol you don't know how many people cofuse Napanee with Nepean. I will say Napanee and they say spelled Nepean.

Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
412 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?

As a mere snorkeler too I would do either the plaza or Klein Bonaire. Lac bay is supposed to.have great snorkeling if you walk fifteen minutes through knee high water and that never appealed to hubby but we do love going there and seeing the beach and eating fish nuggets at the beach bar.

Something special is a nice spot that we go snorkeling at. We swim over to the rocks to the right by the harbour. Saw the biggest green moray eel over there last year just swimming around like he owned the place.

Mentioned in this post
Klein Bonaire
Klein Bonaire
762 Reviews
Bonaire
Lac Bay
Lac Bay
931 Reviews
Bonaire
Reply to: Which beach combines BOTH nice sand AND good snorkeling?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted