We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliable Vehicle Rental for 2 Shore Divers

Waunakee, Wisconsin
4 posts
2 reviews
Reliable Vehicle Rental for 2 Shore Divers

We are piecing together a November vacation with 8 nights of lodging. Any insight on Bonaire Rent a Car or Autohuren Bonaire. Also looking to see if my American Express card would cover the CWD liability.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Reliable Vehicle Rental for 2 Shore Divers

I don't have firsthand experience with either of the rental companies you mention. After many trips to Bonaire using several different rental companies over the years my experience has been that Bonairean rental companies are generally fairly reliable and consistent in running their businesses. I think we can thank the internet, social media, and forums likes this for that to some degree.

It is worth noting though that some Bonairean rental companies will cut capital and operational costs by purchasing cheaper Chinese-made vehicles and/or maintaining aging vehicles in their inventory for longer periods of time than what you'd see here in the USA. Companies that maintain newer, cleaner, and better quality trucks charge more for them.

The only Amex CDW coverage that covers rental trucks on Bonaire is Amex's Premium Car Rental Protection Plan, which requires opting into the program beforehand and paying a small fee (I think $25) that covers the entire rental period up to 30 days or so. Unlike CDW purchased from the rental company, this policy is a contract between you and Amex rather than between Amex and the rental company. Thus in event of a claim Amex pays you and it's up to you if and when you reimburse the rental company directly for the damages. For this reason, and because fees charged to merchants by Amex are much higher than Visa fees, most Bonairean rental car companies don't accept Amex cards or Amex insurance. From their perspective it's higher risk and higher cost.

Edited: 29 July 2017, 15:53
Waunakee, Wisconsin
4 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Reliable Vehicle Rental for 2 Shore Divers

Thank you for the information, we used our American Express option in Costa Rico for a rock chip that hit our windshield 20 miles from returning the vehicle. It saved us $1,800.00 for a windshield replacement. Good to know.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,612 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Reliable Vehicle Rental for 2 Shore Divers

Budget takes Amex. So does Hertz.

B.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Reliable Vehicle Rental for 2 Shore Divers

Budget and Hertz may take Amex, but last time I inquired they don't accept the Amex insurance mentioned above as an alternative to their own CDW insurance.

If a rental vehicle is damaged while protected by the rental company's CDW policy the renter pays the policy deductible to the rental company and the rental company handles the repair and claim from the insurance policy. There's no risk to the rental company with this combination.

If the rental vehicle is damaged while protected under the Amex policy the renter has to pay the rental company directly (and immediately) for repairs, and then seek reimbursement from Amex after-the-fact. Bonairean rental companies are understandably unwilling to wait for Amex to process a claim for payment before seeking money from the renters. They want to be reimbursed for damages before tourists leave the island. This risk is what drives them to avoid acceptance of the Amex policy... even if they accept the credit card for payment.

FWIW: Telerin does accept Amex and recognizes the Amex policy in lieu of their CDW. But the above rules and workflow still applies. If you damage the truck you'll have to fork over full payment for damages out of your own pocket before leaving the island.

5. Re: Reliable Vehicle Rental for 2 Shore Divers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2018, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire