We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

London, United...
5 posts
Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

Hi everyone,

Looking to book a honeymoon to Barbados in late June. Looking for a luxurious hotel but in an area where there are things to see/ places to eat i.e. dont want a hotel resort based holiday. Prefer if it was Caribbean style food/ atmosphere rather than too tourist focused (if this is possible)

Maybe St Lawrence Gap or Holetown could be good options (from my reserach so far)?

Was also deciding between Barbados and Antigua so if anyone has any thoughts between the two?

Please help I am going around in circles.

thanks!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,409 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

if you have done research, are their any hotels you have already looked at but have questions about. also, you really need to know budget as well. Luxurious could mean expensive.. Sandy Lane, Cobblers Cove type hotels.. Coral Reef might fit your bill but again.. budget will determine

my suggestion is to list any hotels you have questions about, and see what the responses are. and remember.. To Each His Own.. I might like one place that might be totally unsuitable for your needs.

and Barbados is small enough that there are plenty of places to eat and things to see all over..

London, United...
5 posts
2. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

thanks for your response

Budget about £3000 for 7 days.

Sandy Lane looks nice - is it too big and resort like? are there restaurants within walking distance?

Is Sandpiper a more caribbean authentic area? it seems like there may be more restaurants and atmosphere around but is it 5 star luxury.

thanks for your help

Danielle

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,580 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

I think you would love Sandpiper. It is not pretentious like Sandy Lane but it is pretty luxurious and the staff are second to none, wonderfully helpful but not intrusive.. It has a very good restaurant of it's own and is in easy walking distance of the centre of Holetown and all it has to offer. It is also small and therefore extremely personal. I stayed there twice a year for 6 years before I found our condos because I wanted to stay longer. I cannot reccommend it highly enough. I still visit for lunch,and am always greeted like a friend. I love it. and I think you would too !.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 15:16
Barbados
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

From your description of what you are looking for I think Sandpiper is a better match than Sandy Lane. I would consider it more "authentic" Barbados and I believe it's 5 star. Sandy Lane is indeed more if a big resort but these days it does have a bigger beach than Sandpiper (west coast beaches here tend to come and go somewhat). Sandpiper is closer to Holetown for restaurants so you could walk but there's nothing within walking distance of Sandy Lane.

London, United...
5 posts
5. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

thanks

The Sandpiper does look nice

How is the beach there? and the sea - clear blue? You say above it is small but hoping still nice to relax by?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,580 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

Sandpiper is a small Hotel and there is plenty enough beach there for it's residents . so you would have no worries there. The sea there was lovely last week, and In June it should be pretty flat There is also a lovely reef in their swimming area to snorkle over.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 16:10
Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

The Sandpiper is a fantastic resort. We've stayed there several times. It is own and run by a local family who also owns Coral Reef Club. Actually either of these places would be perfect. Both are easily walkable into Holetown where you will find lots of shops and restaurants. Also, the new Limegrove Center that opened recently with high-end shops and restaurants is about a 5 minute walk from The Sandpiper and a 10 minute walk from Coral Reef Club.

Have a look at my tips for photos of our rooms at both resorts and my descriptions, plus restaurant photos and descriptions of food. It may help with your planning. www.barbadostips.com

London, United...
5 posts
8. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

thanks everyone for your posts - very informative. I think sandpiper sounds like a good option for us.

One more worry I have - is Barbados REALLY touristy or do you actually feel like you are in the Caribbean - culture, food, atmosphere.

I hear it is very "English" and so dont want to feel like I have stayed at home but the sun is shining

thanks for your help!

Danielle

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

Its definitely doesn't feel like England. I think the phrase comes more from 'the way things are done' driving on the left etc. Its also quite English because there are a lot of English people there! I think there are other island that feel more carribean but I think that is more to do with the natural landscape of other islands, Barbados is small and relatively flat. For me it has a little bit of everything that makes it the best in total.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
89 reviews
10. Re: Place to stay - luxury with things to see/authentic atmosp

There are reminders of England (maybe of the '50s) - things like roundabouts, children's school uniforms, the Parliament buildings and department stores... but the glorious weather, the gorgeous blue ,(warm!) sea, the birds and wildlife, the food, the people, purely Bajan - sure you will enjoy !

Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish
Recent Conversations