We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summerland Villa development

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
29 reviews
Summerland Villa development

We are thinking about travelling to Barbado's in March. At first thought we were thinking about the Hotel option but came across the Summerland Villa apartments. Any comments? We are travelling with 2 seniors, 2 adults and 2 children. A 3 bdrm would work well for us. Are the Summerville apartments near a nice beach? We plan to get a car and enjoy the whole island but it would be nice to have a great beach and restaurants near by.

Any comments or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Summerland Villa development

Is this actually built ?? I don't recognise it at all. Could be similar to the mythical "Beachlands " which has two and three page spreads in many posh magazines with convincing interior photographs. That, 4 weeks ago and very probably still , is a hole in the ground, surrounded by a big hoarding!!!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Summerland Villa development

well it says its up around prospect in St. James.. I've driven up that side several times in the last month and I honestly don't recall seeing it.. however.. it would surprise me if it's there. Sadowner, it is listed on several sites, so I'm guessing it's real and not mythical (like the deep hole that is Beachlands)

to the OP.. sorry.. can't give you any info about it. Contact Bajan Services as they are one of the people who have it listed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Summerland Villa development

It is apparently near prospect beach, about a 2 minute walk. There are some listings for it on the Sotherby's website as a rental. It is managed by West Coast Villa's.

Thanks for your input Sunniebgi. It looks so lovely that we would love to stay there. Probably to good to be true. Do you have any other suggestions for places to stay. We would prefer a villa/apartment $400-$500/night for 3bdrm, on or near a nice beach and some restaurants. A nice pool as well for the kids. We have read about a lot of nice places but having not been to Barbados for 20 years I am not that familiar with it.

Thanks in advance,

Diane

Edited: 08 January 2011, 16:05
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Summerland Villa development

I suppose it could be up the very steep hill accross the road at Prospect ???? I would ask the agent for it's exact location and also whether building is still going on at the property.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Summerland Villa development

When I look at google satellite there is a property under construction on the northwest corner of the intersection of Prospect road and Hwy #1. The entrance is just off Prospect Road. Not sure when this picture was taken so perhaps the construction is complete or well underway with some units done.

Perhaps this is the development.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Summerland Villa development

How about Glitter Bay or Villas on the Beach ? My preference would be Glitter Bay, but Villas OTB are in central Holetown for easy shopping, and restaurants .

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Summerland Villa development

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/caribbean/cb484.htm

Is this the property, if so it gives a phone number for the owner, maybe you could give them a call (it is a UK number) and ask them your questions.

On another map it looks like it is just down from Batts Rock and accross the road, shown on google map on island villa's.

It looks very nice, the only thing is all the pics look like CGI, rather than real pics, may be worth asking for 'actual' photo's as they could be quite misleading like glossy brochure images where reality is not quite the same!

Re: area, if you have a car you would be fine, it shows a pic of the beach on the above site, just be aware they can come and go in Winter but you wouldn't be very far from driving to say Carlisle Bay either from there which is lovely or Paynes Bay etc..As a base it looks a nice place at a good price as long as you are aware you will need to travel a little way to supermarkets, restaurants etc...

London
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Summerland Villa development

I agree with Sadowner, Glitter Bay could be a really good choice for you

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Summerland Villa development

I'm sorry .... I had house guests or would have replied sooner and put this discussion about whether Summerland Villa development exists to rest.

We have friends who own a 3-bedroom condo there that is a great short-term rental (and there are also long-term rentals there too).

So yes .... Summerland Villas is real brick and mortar and construction has been finished for about 4 years. There are two very well-built condo buildings with 6 units in each --- 2 on the ground floor, 2 on the 2nd floor (or 1st if you're British), and the penthouses are 2-story on the 3rd & 4th floors.

It is in Prospect, St. James, which is just south of Jordans in Fitts Village. You turn right off Highway 1at the gap across the road from "The Waves" Hotel. Zarina Khan's law office is in front of Summerland Villas on the east side of the coast road.

If you turn right at that gap, the 2nd entrance on the left is Summerland Villas. It has a gated entrance with pass code. There is also a beach gate to the coast road (also with pass code). The beach they use is the same as "The Waves" hotel. The closest restaurant is Il Tempio which has a great beach bar. Without a car, it would be isolated (although the bus is right in front). But with a car, it's a very convenient location -- close to both Bridgetown and Payne's Bay and Holetown -- and not far from the ABC Highway to the south coast.

The 3-bedroom units are great for 2 adults, 2 seniors and 2 children with a car. The unit quality is excellent (granite counters, some have stainless appliances, master ensuite bath has limestone tile with walk-in shower). Outdoor balconies have dining tables with bar fridge, outdoor granite counter with sink and 2nd set of dishes.

The pool has a gazebo and is surrounded by tropical plants and has a jacuzzi.

The 1st building by the road does get road noise and there are stairs to the 2nd and 3rd floor units. "Emerald Pearl" is a unit on the ground floor in the front building and has a private pool. The 2nd building at the back is much quieter and has an elevator. I'd suggest a ground floor unit, with walk-out to the pool.

This is not an area close to a number of restaurants and it is not on the "best" beach --- but once you see the pool, you won't mind. You can walk across the road and swim in front of "The Waves" hotel and walk the beach. It's a busy road so that is a negative -- but with a car, you can go to any beach you like.

I'm sorry to see that any questions were raised about whether Summerland Villas exists, and hope this helps. I have nothing to gain personally, but I feel badly when I see people doubting it exists .... most likely because it's high above a stone wall and not easy to see from the coast road. Please PM with the Unit # you are considering if you would like more information.

I do agree that Glitter Bay could be a very good choice as well.

Edited: 09 January 2011, 04:28
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
296 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Summerland Villa development

Thanks for all the input. Glitter Bay looks great, but the Condo's are $950.00/night for a 3bdrm during March which is when we are travelling.

What are the beaches like around The Gap? The St. Lawrence Beach Condo's look good. I was wondering if it would suit us better. They have a pool and are right on the beach. Is The Gap a good place to walk around road as well as beach? My in-laws like to walk. I imagine there are better beaches but we will also have a car.

We are looking for the best place in our price range (which is around 500-600/night) for a 3 bdrm. Needs to have a pool and be on a decent beach so the kids can play out there when we are at the condo.

Thanks in advance,

Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish
Recent Conversations