We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent : Passport requirements

Manchester
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent : Passport requirements

Hello all.

Basically I leave for Barbados on Sunday with just under 6 months validity left on my passport...Will this be acceptable but does it have to have more than 6months validity?

Please Help.

Thankyou Rachel

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent : Passport requirements

Go to this post tripadvisor.com/…23540102

FYI if you put your topic in the search box you'll find pages of information. However for all legal questions for a definitive answer you should always contact the appropriate authorities, in this case the Barbados High Commission.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent : Passport requirements

Hi Rachel

I personally would not take the risk because 6 months is a "requirement" as far as I am aware for Barbados and most countries. Always seems stupid to me but that is what is enforced.

See this link:

worldtravelguide.net/country/…Barbados.html

You may also not get that far as you may be prevented by your airline from flying as they will also know the law/risk.

I'd be checking with my airline and travel operator but even if they say ok it only takes one officious official doing his/her job to send you back.

Good luck but if you can get a new passport I'd do it!

Jim

Gloucester
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent : Passport requirements

I know for a fact that Virign Atlantic will not allow you to fly unless you have 6 months left to run on your passport. This happened to a lady who was checking in in front of us on our last trip to Barbados, she was heart broken but sadly she was not allowed to travel.

Not worth the risk, I think you need to be down to your nearest passport office pronto!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent : Passport requirements

The rule states 6 months, but the same thing happened to my mum last year and when she emailed the immigration service in Barbados, they informed her, that provided she had enough validity for her length of stay it would be fine. She had no problems at check in in the UK or on arrival in Barbados.

However, comments above show that not everyone is so fortunate... if you are able to get yourself a new one, it's probably a good idea!

Gloucester
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent : Passport requirements

From VA website

Your passport must not expire for at least six months after your trip's departure date, and have enough blank pages for travel visa and immigration stamps

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent : Passport requirements

Rachel

I faced the same issues you have last year with only 2 months before expiry. After several phone calls to the High Commisioners and the Barbados Embassy and also Air Canada I was reassured by all three contacts that if my passport was valid during my stay on the island that it was all that was required. We proceeded with our trip and we encountered no difficulties.I actually remarked to the customs officer about this anfd he stated that the 6 month requirement was changed several years ago...Laurie

7. Re: Urgent : Passport requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish
Recent Conversations