We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados in August

Manchester, United...
7 posts
Barbados in August

I'm guessing I don't need any kind of cover up for the evenings? Is it so hot and sticky you end up sitting in air con at night? Hope not. Also are the mosquitos a nightmare? Just ordered Mosquto Milk just in case. Thank you x

Fleet, Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Barbados in August

Depends where you eat. Lots of restuarants do not have air conditioning. Certainly those along the coasts that have open sides to view the sea do not.

You may need a cardigan, depends if you feel the cold. Personally I don't so I don't take one, but one night at Half Moon Fort my children complained that they felt cold.

Mosquitos can be a problem if you are near standing water. We had a few in our villa that seemed to "get us" but only during the first week, oddly. We were never bitten when we were out and about.

england
Level Contributor
309 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Barbados in August

You WILL NOT need any sort of cover up the whole time you are are in Barbados (at least not on the west coast). We always try and get a table under a fan for dinner. I normally get one or two bites on the legs but I sometimes think they are from sand flies rather than mozzies. Anyhow they are not a real problem unless you are in thick vegetation.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Barbados in August

As has already been said I believe sand flies are more of a problem than mosquito's. The main reason being, people do tend to put insect repellent on during the evening to protect themselves from mosquitoes but forget to during the day on the beach even if they do it gets washed off fairly quickly in the sea. If you use sunbeds and don't dig your feet around in the sand it helps and may be buy suntan with insect repellent. You do see quite a few people with bites restricted to their legs which tends to point towards sand flies.

If you are staying in the south there doesn't seem to be many mosquitoes probably the salty sea breezes.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
819 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Barbados in August

I'm getting the sunscreen with the insect repellent for day and night. Sand flies are the worst. I got bit on my foot in Jamaica during dinner so I'm hoping this spray will help with that problem.

5. Re: Barbados in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish
Recent Conversations