We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont Southhampton Questions

NJ
Level Contributor
164 posts
7 reviews
Fairmont Southhampton Questions

Hi, booked this place for July, couple questions for the experts..

Is there a liquor store close by that I can get some package goods for the room? And a store to get some snacks?

Is there someplace close to rent a scooter and what might it cost for 5 days?

How long is the ride from the airport?

I believe the hotel offers a way to get to Hamilton property? Would this help us trying to go out to dinner? Is this a boat ride? Does it run reguarly? Is it free?

I play a lot of golf, sounds like the course on property is a par 3 course, any advice on where else I could play golf close that isnt too expensive?

USA
Level Contributor
30,331 posts
9 reviews
11. Re: Fairmont Southhampton Questions

Roaming charges for cel phone calls are going to run in the range from$1.99/minute-to-$2:49/min.. Your best bet is going to be to purchase pre-paid telephone calling card ($10, $20, $50, $100) that are readily available all over Bermuda. The calling charge from Bermuda with these pre-paid calling cards usually runs approx. .57¢/ min. or so to the lower-48 US.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
3 reviews
12. Re: Fairmont Southhampton Questions

The easiest way to get to the hotel is to just get into one of the taxis which will be lined up outside Arrivals. It will take about 40 minutes, is a beautiful ride and will cost about $40 give or take. There are shuttles which you share with other people but after being cooped up for a few hours on a plane I look forward to having a cab all to ourselves. Not that much difference in price to lose any sleep over.

USA
Level Contributor
30,331 posts
9 reviews
13. Re: Fairmont Southhampton Questions

We tend to fall into the same catgory as above. After several hours of '..traveling..-- through airports, aboard aircraft, etc.--with a '..herd..' of others, we like the relative personal convenience of a taxi. There will be an adequate line of taxis queing just outside of the exit from the Arrival Hall. The fare from airport to FSH should run in the range $40-$45. More than likely, the route that the driver taks will take you around Harrington Sound, through both the Tucker's Point and Mid-Ocean golf course, out onto the sout shore near John Smith Bay, eventurally returning to the shore closer to the FSH, with some genuine '..take your breath away..' south shore and ocean vistas along the route.

I'd be inclined to go for a room or suite on one of the higher floors of the FSH. I know that most might prefer and 'Oocean View'...but to me, the Great Sound and Hamilton Harbour views from the '..back..' of the FSH are much more '..interesting..' with the potential for some spectacular sunsets.

A small anecdote about the Fairmont Southampton. When the hotel was originally planned for the Southampton hilltop location in the early '70s, Fairmont proposed an eight(8) story hotel. The Bermuda planning commission told them that it was a lovely hotel but....the tallest building that they were permitted to build on the site was four(4) stories, because of height restrictions in Bermuda. Fairmont needed an eight(8) story building so.....they simply '..chopped..' four(4) stories off of the top of the hill, used the fill to 'terrace' the golf course and built their original eight(8) story hotel.

NJ
Level Contributor
164 posts
7 reviews
14. Re: Fairmont Southhampton Questions

Do you know if you have to pay for snorkle equipment?

USA
Level Contributor
30,331 posts
9 reviews
15. Re: Fairmont Southhampton Questions

Sorry...not sure about any charge...but I think that you can get snorkeling at the FSH beachclub.

The snorkeling at the waters ( East Whale Bay & Cross Bay) of the beachclub will be '..okay..' out around the rocks, that 'shelter' the eastern end of bay.

For the best snorkeling from-the-beach you'll be well served by heading west (to your right as you face the ocean) down the South Road (approx. 1 1/4 mi.) to CHURCH BAY. Church Bay is a small, semi-sheltered bay and tiny beach created by a '..crescent..' of broken-reef and rock extending out from shore from one side of the foreshore and a small promontory jutting out from the other, with coral formations and rocks scattered about that creates an interesting marine enviornment. The broken reef and rock also tends to '..break up..' the swell and surf at most tide states. There is a concessionaire here that rents basic snorkeling equipment (also basic beverages & snacks). The last time I checked the rental charge was $15 for 3 or 4 hours.

Berlin...
Level Contributor
161 posts
60 reviews
16. Re: Fairmont Southhampton Questions

KDKSAIL- very interesting tidbit about the carving of the hill to fit the 8 stories in!

USA
Level Contributor
30,331 posts
9 reviews
17. Re: Fairmont Southhampton Questions

If you stay at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel....ask any of the Southampton 'Princess' old timers about the time, back in the mid-'70s, when on a last-minute whim, the Saudi shiek decided to stop off in Bermuda with his his royal retinue and took over the top two floors of the hotel. Their 'conspicuous consumption' and excesses are legendary.

18. Re: Fairmont Southhampton Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Southampton Parish