We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use points or stay at Pompano

new york
Level Contributor
247 posts
17 reviews
Use points or stay at Pompano

Hi, we might be going to Bermuda in July and can use American Xpress points at the Southampton Princess. We are concerned about the bad reviews. We have not been to the Pompano or the Southampton Princess. What would you do? Singer Also, love Bermuda!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,651 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Use points or stay at Pompano

Two quite different properties. It's really a personal decision based on your requirements.

USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Use points or stay at Pompano

for a more intimate experience go for Pompano! for a large conference hotel experience go for the SHP.

boston
Level Contributor
657 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Use points or stay at Pompano

You will be going to Bermuda during high season and AMEX's daily point fee for properties is extremely high in saeson. You should try to find a promotion by the property itself or travel agency. Liberty Travel, offices everywhere, ad in the NY tImes, has had promos running w/the SouthHampton Princess- from $625 pp., includes round-trip airfare, hotel transfers, 3 nights accommodation w/bonus of $300 companion air credit. This may be for low season, but due to the economy I'm sure there will be something for the high season too. We have quite a few AMEX points, too, but we try to use them only when it seems like it will be at least on par with what we would have had to pay out of pocket.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Use points or stay at Pompano

We had a similar dilemma and opted to use our AmEx points for airfare. Check out pricing using the AmEx pay for points plan, which allows you to use as many points as you want to cover all or a portion of the airfare. I booked our family of 5 at Pompano Beach Club because of all the terrific tripadvisor reviews, which have never failed me yet!

new york
Level Contributor
247 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Use points or stay at Pompano

Thank you for your advice. I will look into that instead. Singer

Kansas City
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Use points or stay at Pompano

I've been to both, but only stayed at Pompano - it was the best vacation of my entire life! My good friend stayed at the Fairmont and liked it, but visited Pompano and preferred it. It is a small property (new experience to me), so everything is very close and you recognize everyone by the end of a week's stay.

Very hospitable and both of the restaurants are good - if you want a relaxing time, great little beach with good drinks without having to walk/shuttle across the road to get to the water, choose Pompano. If you want a larger, resort-like vacation with lots of other options (tennis, etc), choose the Fairmont.

Pompano staff will even drop you off at the ferry stop (which takes you into Hamilton), or drop you off at a scooter rental place up the road. But do check out Horseshoe Bay, which is just around the corner from the Fairmont - beautiful!

Good luck!

7. Re: Use points or stay at Pompano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Southampton Parish