We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantana restaurant early 1970's

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lantana restaurant early 1970's

Visited Bermuda the week the governor was assassinated, dined at a restaurant that was in a greenhouse. Maybe Lantana. Anyone remember it? Is it still there?

12 replies to this topic
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

I don't have any information on Lantana but I was also there at the time the Governor was shot and your post just brought back a flood of memories. I was stationed in the Navy there at the time and was riding back to the base that evening after having been in Hamilton. There was a barricade set up at the 3 way intersection near Swizzle Inn and they were searching cars and questioning people. We had no idea why until the next day. Very shocking for a place like Bermuda at the time.

USA
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

LANTANA COLONY CLUB (opened 1958) closed in July, 1998. It remained vacant until 2008, when it was purchased by the owner of Newstead-Belmont Hills. with the intention to redevelop the property. In anticipation of this, the remaining buildings on the Sandys Parish property were demolished to make way for new development....so the restaurant (along with most other buildings) is history. Like so many other 'best laid plans' for tourism redevelopment in Bermuda over the past few decades; it never happened. The property remains vacant. The property has been actively For Sale since 2015.

"...Lantana up for sale for $16.9m.."--(Royal Gazette--Jul 29, 2015)--

royalgazette.com/article/…150729636

USA
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

If you're interested in a lovely little piece of Great Sound waterfront property, located along the Bermuda Railway Trail (access bridge over trail)....I'm guessin' that price is negotiable--

LANTANA--

regosothebysrealty.com/enb/sales/detail/471-…

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

Do you recall if this is where there was a restaurant in a greenhouse?

USA
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

YES.....the main dining space at LANTANA COLONY CLUB & COTTAGES was a sort of '..greenhouse..' with a glass-paneled roof. Dining tables were interspersed among potted, flowering trees. I just thumbed through an old (1991-92) brochure and came across a photo of this dining space. Do any of these other locations on the property ring any bells ??...CAROUSEL BAR (round-striped-awning ceiling...like a 'carousel')...MARINE TERRACE (overlooking the Great Sound)...MERIDIAN LOUNGE....La PLAGE (outdoor, waterside dining terrace--usually served lunch)

Edited: 28 January 2016, 20:27
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

Thank you so much, I do vaguely remember the carousel bar. My wife and I had dinner amongst potted areca palms and the lighting was clusters of glass grapes. Very romantic especially for a couple from Minnesota. We stayed at Somerset Bridge in a small 3 or 4 room bed and breakfast. What wonderful time we had.

Edited: 28 January 2016, 20:51
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,578 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

I wonder if you stayed at the Garden House with Mrs. Galloway? We like the west end of the island very much.

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

My wife and I stayed a week at the Lantana Colony Club at Somerset in August 1989 during which time Hurricane Dean hit Bermuda. The hurricane caused some damage in Bermuda, but the Lantana had very little. It was a one day inconvenience followed by glorious weather.

We dined on the colony club circuit during our stay, and had dinner one night in the “greenhouse” dining room at the Lantana. My wife and I still laugh about the small “tree frogs” which lurked in the trees surrounding our table. The food was excellent. It closed during the 1990’s and has never reopened. A hedge fund owner in New York bought it several years ago and announced plans to build a great resort on the site. Sadly that was never done, and he has listed it for sale.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

My wife and I stayed a week at the Lantana Colony Club at Somerset in August 1989 during which time Hurricane Dean hit Bermuda. The hurricane caused some damage in Bermuda, but the Lantana had very little. It was a one day inconvenience followed by glorious weather.

We dined on the colony club circuit during our stay, and had dinner one night in the “greenhouse” dining room at the Lantana. My wife and I still laugh about the small “tree frogs” which lurked in the trees surrounding our table. The food was excellent. It closed during the 1990’s and has never reopened. A hedge fund owner in New York bought it several years ago and announced plans to build a great resort on the site. Sadly that was never done, and he has listed it for sale.

USA
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lantana restaurant early 1970's

>>>...A hedge fund owner in New York bought it several years ago and announced plans to build a great resort on the site. Sadly that was never done, and he has listed it for sale..<<<

The hotel buildings have been demolished and the property still remains actively For Sale--$16.9-million--

LANTANA--53 Railway Trail, Sandys, MA06 Bermuda--9.74 Acres--

https:/…lantana-sandys-be-ma06

Reply to: Lantana restaurant early 1970's
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Warwick Parish