We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

Brewster...
9 posts
Save Topic
Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

Wanted to buy staples at home and bring to BDA. is this allowed? what about things like coffee and dry goods? I've seen people talk about frozen meats? how do you do that?

8 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

YES...you can certainly bring quantities of food for personal consumption into Bermuda. You are allowed 20 lbs. of meats per person. In the past, this was most usually accomplished by carrying deep-frozen meats in an insulated container as carry-on baggage (though I have seen sealed 'coolers' come though as checked baggage. I'm not entirely sure how this works these days with TSA airport security inspections ?? I'm pretty sure that any such 'baggage' is gonna' have to go through as '..checked baggage..'.

As you might expect, the '..catch..' to bringing your own foods to Bermuda these days is gonna' be the much more restrictive airline checked-baggage allowances and profit-generating over weight baggage charges. So you're gonna' need to be a lot more selective.

High ticket, limited quantity items that many still bring in are small quantities of herbs & spices and favourite coffee or tea blends. Bermuda supermarkets usally stock most of the same items that you'll find on your local market shelves...plus a fair selection of European brands, not commonly available in the US.

Grocery prices in Bermuda are gonna' run 1/4 to 1/3 more in Bermuda than in the US. You can do your own spot comparison by checking the 'Weekly Sale' pages of some of Bermuda's larger supermarkets and get some idea of relative costs--

MARKETPLACE--

http://www.marketplace.bm/

LINDO'S--

http://www.lindos.bm/

Brewster...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

Thanks, that helps alot. Our realtor gave us the Lindos info. also. Do you have any ideas for caterer or prepared dishes to have a party at home rather going out with a group of 10 adults?

We will be in BDA July 1-16 this year!! Counting the days!! celebrating 50th bday!

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

Not sure about any local caterers...but some of Bermuda's supermarkets (MarketPlace and Lindo's) have pretty good Prepared Foods & Deli sections. After a bad day at work, many Bermudians don't want to be bothered with '..pushin' pots..'.

But unquestionably the best (not the 'cheapest') Prepared Foods & Deli section in Bermuda...as well as 'killer' desserts and baked goods and a pretty good wine selection...is gonna' be found at the MILES MARKET, '..tucked..' back in down a lane (only a small sign on the corner of the building...the Mies van der Rohe Bacardi building across the road) harbourside behind the lagre '..WATERFORNT..' ofiice/condo complex at the edge of downtown Hamilton (approx. 450-500 yards west along Front St./Pitt's Bay Rd...to your right as you face the harbour....from the main ferry terminal in Hamilton)

MILES MARKETS--

http://www.miles.bm/Miles/index.html

Brewster...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

awesome! thanks again!

florida
Level Contributor
206 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

On a recent trip to Bermuda we had 2 suitcases at 49lb. each with mostly food for a 3 week stay. We did have to pay the $25 per bag but it still was cheaper then buying food local. We do not bring in meat but mostly staples and snack food. This is the first time both of my bags were opened and inspected and they made a mess putting things back in but otherwise it all made it here safe and sound. What we don't open we leave for the cleaning personal. It is worth more then a tip and I am sure appreciated. We have had no trouble with Bermuda customs anytime we came with food.

As for buying at the grocery stores, if you don't buy American name brand foods, the prices are not that much more then home.

Brewster...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

Great! Thanks so much! I think I agree; I'm already putting stuff aside ready to pack only 2 more weeks!! :)

baltimore
Level Contributor
689 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

Would bring snack food: Nutrition Bars/peanut butter crackers...(beach back-pack type food)

You can buy meats/vegetables/fruits... at grocery stores- do not think worth packing to save a few dollars.

bethlehem, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?

We pack a soft-sided rolling cooler for all our trips and check it. We timeshare - all have full kitchens and are international so the checked bag is free. We take coffee, oatmeal, peanut butter, deli meats for about 4 lunches, and 2 chicken breasts, 2 strip steaks, 2 salmon fillets and a frozen bag of shrimp. Also pack up butter, spices. (I love to cook.) This last trip to Bermuda I also brought small individual bags of fresh veggies (Wegmans). We pick up bread, eggs, milk, linguine, etc. on island. This way we eat in 4 days (alternating lunch and dinner) and then enjoy meals out the other 3. Makes our trips much more affordable and I feel we still contribute to the local economy. Everything is still frozen (especially Bermuda since its a short trip from NY/NJ/PA) - we use Techni Ice (sp?). Not everyone wants to be bothered cooking while on vacation, some would say it defeats the point, but it works for us. Enjoy your trip - lucky you - going for 2 weeks - we can only manage a week at a time!

Reply to: Packing food to bermuda for 2 wk. vacation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Warwick Parish