We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
381 posts
1,499 reviews
Save Topic
Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

We visited Bermuda many years ago and I remember how very expensive everything is - especially restaurants. We are returning July 13 and would appreciate any help regarding places to eat. We are looking for the type of restaurants a local person would eat - good, tasty food, clean establishment - not a tourist trap - casual atmosphere. Paraquet and House of India have already been recommended and we plan to visit both of them. I have looked at lots of restauarants and menus and we would rather not have to pay $100 for lunch and dinner. Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

Salt Rock Grill in Somerset ovelooks Mangrove Bay and is frequented by locals. They have a 3 course "early bird " menu to 6:30 Mon-Sat. I think the prix fixe is @ $25.00. Freeport at the entrance to Dockyard is also a local place with fair prices.

2. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 June 2011, 23:05
Edited: 30 June 2011, 23:05
Reading, PA
Level Contributor
381 posts
1,499 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

Dear KDKSAIL,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my inquiry. However, I am taken aback by your "get over it" comment. We are frquent travellers and where ever we go, we prefer to dine where the majority of the clientele is local rather than tourists. That is not something I want to or plan to "get over."

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
386 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

Not sure which part of the "Rock" you will be staying, however The BUZZ cafe has several locations, Westend, Downtown, & ON THE BEACH at Eastend Tobacco Bay. I belive this will hit spot on for your request for lunch.

Some Locations offer breakfast & BUZZ on the BEACH has happyhour Fridays with entertainment!!! Bing the web address

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
381 posts
1,499 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

Thank you OGREAT1 and valman9876. We are staying near Hamilton, but we are open to suggestions anywhere.

USA
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

What portion of, "...Bermudians dine at most of the same restaurants as 'tourists' do..." requires explanation ? What I don't quite understand is your reference to a restaurant being frequented by dreaded tourists being a "..tourist trap..". Because if that's so, then you can write off damn near every restaurant in Bermuda...including any one that you might visit...including the wonderful PARAQUET, which sits out in from of the PARAQUET **TOURIST** APARTMENTS (emphasis added-- http://www.paraquetapartments.com/ )...just down the road from the COCO REEF RESORT and ELBOW BEACH HOTEL. So while you may find yourself sitting at the counter or a table next to a couple of local plastering contractors on their lunch break, you may equally well be sitting next to Bob & Mitzi (he's a purchasing agent and she's a dental assistant in Bermuda for their anniversary aboard the NCL 'Gem') from Bayonne, NJ. You could just as likely be sitting at a table at COCONUTS at The Reefs Hotel at lunch and find that the table next to yours is occupied by several ladies from the Sanctuary Renovation Committee of Saint Whozits the Apostle AME Church in Warwick.

But...there are places n Bermuda where the clientelle is almost exclusively Bermudian...but the only reason for this is because it's there and so are they at the moment. and it's simply the most convenient option..(i.e. the lunch wagons up at the back of the paring lot at City Hall in Hamilton or the one out in the parking lot at the entrance to the commercial docks on Broadway)....and that's no '..recommendation..'.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 16:33
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

The Blue Line Ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard is a quick, cheap, fun and scenic ride. From Dockyard you can walk to Freeport restraunt, or you could take a taxi or the #7 or 8 bus 10 minutes to Somerset where you will find Salt Rock Grill and the Somerset Country Squire. I haven't eaten at the Country Squire in a long time, so I can't comment on the food, but when I was there , there were a lot of locals at the bar watching soccer on tv and having a good time.

chicago IL
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

I, too, am taken aback by the comments of KDKSail. Whichever way you took the writer's question, which was fair, your response was totally surprising in rudeness. Nowhere on tripadviser have I encountered such a "bad day" response. Hope I don't run into you while visiting Bermuda.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

Would highly recommend the Portofino Restaurant in Bermudiana Road, Hamilton. I believe their website may have sample menus www.portofino.bm It's a very friendly Italian and reasonably priced (for Bermuda!). Many locals regularly dine there.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bermuda restaurants - good value recommendations?

If you go to the Country Squire they may let you join the Drinking and Arguing Club.