We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

Friends in NYC, U.S. citizens, have just received the opportunity of a lifetime. The Mom's boss cannot use tickets to go on a cruise to the Caribbean and has offered the tickets to my friend so she and her family can go. Can she bring her 6-mo. old if she doesn't yet have the baby's birth certificate and passport?

Thanks for any help!

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

>>>Can she bring her 6-mo. old if she doesn't yet have the baby's birth certificate and passport?<<<

For a '..closed loop cruise..'...in the absence of either a valid passport or an original or government-certified ('raised seal' or other authentication device..simple photocopy is UN-acceptable) birth certificate....NO

Edited: 31 May 2011, 00:19
New York, New York
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

Okay. I think they're planning to get a certified copy of the birth certificate from City Hall.

I was mistaken in how I phrased the original Q -- it seems they did obtain an original birth certificate, but they sent it off to get baby's passport. Neither has come back yet, so they don't have the original passport available.

THank you for your quick and kind response!

Kennebunk, Maine
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

if they contact their senator's office they may be able to expedite. good luck-what a nice opportunity!

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

If they've applied for a US passport for the child, they may be able to obtain a certificate of application from the US Passport agency. As noted above, contacting one's Congressional representative's--House or Senate--offices may be able to speed resolution of the issue...either by expediting the passport issuance process??...or obtaining a certification letter from the Passport agency ??

In this instance, I'm not sure that entering Bermuda or any Caribbean port-calls is an area of much concern...BUT...re-entering the US may be (??) This might save the parents potential hassles with legitimate, US Immigration & Naturalization bureaucratic processes.

These days, cruise lines are also more punctilious about proper travel documents--passports, visas, certified birth certificates, 'green cards', etc. Cruise lines view this (and state is in unequivocal terms in their pre-cruise, passenger info) as the SOLE RESPONSIBILITY of the PASSENGER (even if the passenger has received conflicting information from the cruise line)...and may refuse to board an inadequately or improperly documented passenger.

Edited: 31 May 2011, 03:25
USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

P.S.....have the parents checked with the source--the US Department of State--regarding proper travel documentation for their child ?? To the best of my knowledge, "..Someone on an internet travel forum said so.." seldom persuades ICE inspectors of the validity and legitimacy of the information. They're funny that way. Go figga'??

travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

If they haven't already I would also confirm the cruise tickets are trasferrable.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

Many cruises won't accept travel with a baby that age. Check with individual cruise lines.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

Norwegian allows babies at 6 months old. Not sure about other cruise lines.

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

I'm pretty sure that all of the cruise lines that make regual port calls at Bermuda--Holland American, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity--allow infants aboard....but it's still a good idea to double check with the line....just in case....

New York, New York
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does a 6-mo. old baby need a passport to cruise to Bermuda?

Thank you, all. The baby had just turned six months old just days before departure, so she was accepted (and adored) on board!