We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

Hi all

Please excuse my ignorance. I have never been to Aruba, but have visited many other AI places in Jamaica, Mexico, Cuba, Dominican, etc.

I'm wondering why/how AI is different in Aruba. Specifically, I have been looking at the Renaissance Hotel.

Can someone tell me some differences that may exist or how the overall experience may be different than what I am used to?

I have done some very basic research and discovered one of the differences is that this hotel does not have nightly entertainment. These are the types of things I would want to know before booking.

Thank you kindly.

Edited: 24 September 2011, 18:46
jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

You can not compare the AI's in Aruba to the AI's you have experienced in Jamaica, Mexico, DR, etc. Most of the time, the AI's in other areas are mega resorts. AI in Aruba is very different, as you won't have as many restaurants to choose from, the resort itself won't be nearly as large, and nightly entertainment is definitely not one of the pros of any AI resort. I would suggest reading AI vs. Non-AI over to the right under Questions about Aruba. People who have been to AI resorts in other locations will be able to chime in and help as well to explain.

You can easily venture out of the many hotels and timeshares on the island. Aruba is very safe to get around, and one of the highlights of the island, IMO, are the many restaurants to choose from - high end, middle of the road and lower end.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

The Ren will definately be smaller than any AI in Dominican, Mexico, or Jamaica. I have never found the shows at any AI's very good, so I'm not really sure I would base my vaction on that.

I think what will be much better is the food and drinks. The Ren is not mandatory AI, which will normally have better food and drinks since there are people who are coming and paying for the food and drink. You will not be limited to buffets as you may be at some AI's especially for breakfast and lunch.

The Ren is in town and you can walk around more freely than you could in Mexico, Jamaica, or Dominican.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

Thank you both for this information. I've been doing some more reading about Aruba online as well.

DiviAruba: good point about the food quality, I wouldn't have thought about that.

It would be a different experience for me, but maybe I'm ready for a change!

kitchener
Level Contributor
147 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

Does the REN have a disco?

thanks

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

No disco that I have heard of....not sure of any AI's that have discos in Aruba.

kitchener
Level Contributor
147 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

Really? That is disappointing to hear...where to go to dance?

7. Re: Renaissance AI versus AI on other islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad