We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

Ontario
Level Contributor
714 posts
46 reviews
Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

Usually when we travel we will find a private driver for the day and tour an island. We did this in St. Lucia and we’re planning to do the same in Aruba when we were there this August. However, days became lazy and we never got to finding anything ideal . We are returning in December and want to prebook this time. We are more interested in nature and (some] architecture, history over a ATV type tour. Any suggestions? Or should we just continue to “chill”? We are spending 5 nights at Manchebo and 2 at Renaissance.

16 replies to this topic
Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

I recommend Bully (Amador Lacle) for a taxi tour.

(If Bully is unavailable, I suggest Hubert and Bully can give you his contact info)

Bully will take you where you want to go, he will take your suggestions and create a tour based on your wants and needs.

The private tour pricing is set by the government and is not more than $60 p hour (it used to be $45 and I think it has been upped to about $60)

Bully is honorable,knowledgeable and kind and wonderful and you will enjoy every moment.

(Hubert too!!!!)

Bullytaxi79@hotmail.com

the email reply will be from Amador Lacle

Stamford CT
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

To me there is no "must see" attraction in Aruba. There are plenty of things that are interesting enough to see (the lighthouse, chapel, national park, butterfly farm, etc.) that are not a waste of time but not all that great.

MD
Level Contributor
804 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

The only "must see" thing that I'd recommend is what you said you don't want to do - an ATV excursion. A must do IMO is to rent an ATV for a day and go explore the rugged side of the island at your own pace. You can see a lot of things Richard M mentioned all in the same trip, and many of them aren't things you stay at for very long like the chapel, lighthouse, etc. The park is a blast on an ATV and I think one of my all time favorite things to do is ATV to the natural pool. It's rugged and fun.

My other "must do" thing is a Jolly Pirates morning snorkel tour. We always do one of those and they are always a blast. And you get back at 1pm so you have the rest of the day to do more stuff.

New York
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

I like going to the lighthouse at sunset. I liked going to the Natural pool. I had fun going on Jolly pirates. I had fun when I went ATVing. I like going into Oranjestad. I liked seeing the rugged side of Aruba with their cactus fences.

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
86 reviews
5. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

I disagree with the post that states attractions are not all that great. I would drive through the National Park and check out the gorgeous coastline.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
528 posts
88 reviews
6. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

I highly recommend Marc at Wix Tours. He will customize your tour. He is terrific and very knowledgeable. Have fun!

new york
Level Contributor
585 posts
224 reviews
7. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

Good afternoon- I agree with Curly that Arikok National Park is worth seeing. We took a half day private tour customized for us. The driver had a van so although bumpy at some points, not bad. We are not ATV people. We did our tour on our second trip to Aruba. What a trip it is to see the desert side of the Island. Enjoy!

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
223 reviews
8. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

I’ve got to say climbing Hooiberg made me insanely happy. It’s one of the most memorable things I’ve done on vacation. A cheap thrill but I loved doing it.

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
86 reviews
9. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

I agree. Hooiberg was on my bucket list and was an awesome adventure. Beautiful view.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?

CurlyOntario and Lori12309, would climbing Hooiberg be good to do en route to Arikok National Park, where I'd assume we would also do some hiking? Haven't decided whether we need to rent a car yet or not (staying at the Amsterdam Manor in Feb.)...I tend to prefer letting someone else do the driving when I'd prefer to be looking around as opposed to looking at the road in front of me...so would you recommend a private or group tour for these things or go ahead and rent a car? As far as other excursions, is there any place where the snorkeling is very good for seeing fish and coral that you can enter by walking in from the shore as opposed to having to take a boat? Thank all of you for being generous with the time you spend giving advice!

Reply to: Private tour of Island anything thing “must see.?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations