We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
138 reviews
Spiders

Hi,

I've read a few reviews lately mentioning horse spiders, are these seen quite often in the grounds of hotels or would they generally be seen more in the bush areas? I'm petrified of spiders so I hadn't even thought about these.

7 replies to this topic
Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Spiders

I am also petrified of spiders and it is the one thing that concerned me on all my 5 visits. The horse spiders live in holes in the ground and only tend to be seen when it rains heavily and they get flooded out. Many members will say they've never seen one in all their trips but a handful will have. The only consolation for me is I understand they never come indoors. I'm sure local hotel staff will make sure they are whisked away quickly if they come anywhere near guests. I will be honest I always have seen at least 2 or 3 where I stay but that's a private villa set in open grass and shrubbery - and they have always been in the swimming pool!

Try not to worry as the chances are low of you seeing one at all.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
212 reviews
2. Re: Spiders

I’ve only seen one spider in Antigua at Jolly Harbour, but it was a Tarantula

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Spiders

Just to clarify the Antiguan horse spider is to all intents and purposes a tarantula so that's what you saw.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
138 reviews
4. Re: Spiders

Thanks for the replies. I hopefully won't see one next week. It's strange as I've seen many big spiders in the wild but for some reason I'm getting more scared the older I get.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
219 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Spiders

Our neighbor had one in the door frame a few weeks ago when we were there. T's are not agressive. I wouldnt have killed him.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
219 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Spiders

Other than that episode, nothing. Not very buggy where we stayed this hear.

Edited: 22 November 2018, 02:53
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
212 reviews
7. Re: Spiders

It was very cute and furry

Reply to: Spiders
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua