We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jolly beach resort or Halcyon Cove Resort

London
Level Contributor
116 posts
28 reviews
Jolly beach resort or Halcyon Cove Resort

Hi

I am planning a nights stay in Antigua in mid December and the 2 resorts meet my budget. I am going to Antigua mainly for a beach holiday. There has been some pretty bad reviews on JBR hence why I am looking at another option. I won't be renting a car and would like to see a bit of the island. Which one would u recommend to stay? Also how much would a taxi cost from JBR to St John? Are there any reliable public transport?

thanks!

4 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Jolly beach resort or Halcyon Cove Resort

Definitely JBR - do a search and just have a look at previous threads in the forum on halcyon cove - the decision is more or less made for you already.

JBR though dated rooms is much, much better than the dilapidated halcyon cove. JBR'S beach is much better, so is the pool abs the size of the pool. I think it's better in most cases IMO.

Bus is available at JBR and cheap as chips. Everything is a little walk away or ask the best beaches are a few bus stops away from JBR - not the same for halcyon cove.

Edited: 18 November 2018, 02:28
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Jolly beach resort or Halcyon Cove Resort

Also, the buses are reliable and come often from JBR though stop around sunset. The cost from JBR is roughly £1 each way. The buses are moreso like minibuses or smaller depending on what comes past so don't have a massive inflatable with you or several bags of shopping on the way back.. That'll be a struggle.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Jolly beach resort or Halcyon Cove Resort

At this price point you get what you pay for, which probably explains some of the reviews. Jolly Beach is good value but don't expect too many frills. If you're there on a night when Lydia's restaurant is open, the food, ambience and service are much better than the buffet; likewise the beach barbeque.

Jolly Beach is in a far better location for what you describe. There are two buses there from St John's and as the previous post suggests, the service is cheap and efficient during daylight hours. The 22 does not stop at the resort; it stops on the main road outside Jolly Harbour and southbound buses continue to some of the best beaches on the island including Turners, Darkwood and Carlisle Bay.

There are a few shops in Jolly Harbour (maybe 5-10min walk from the hotel). Better shopping is in St John's. I found Dickenson Bay (the location of the Halcyon) crowded and irritating with the number of hawkers selling tat, but I guess if you want to shop for souvenirs it's convenient! Both are nice beaches, Jolly probably the better because it's longer and less crowded - and the fine sand gives the sea a beautiful milky turquoise hue.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
666 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Jolly beach resort or Halcyon Cove Resort

We had a week at the Halcyon Cove and it was fantastic

It aint 5 star and it doesn't charge 5 star prices.

What it charges is great value.

We loved it, great food as much drink as you wish, and our room was more than fine.

Reply to: Jolly beach resort or Halcyon Cove Resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted