We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royalton Antigua

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
141 reviews
Royalton Antigua

Does anyone have any information on the new Royalton Antigua? Did the construction ever start? Is it on track to open this year? I can't seem to find any information about it anywhere.

TIA

140 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
23 reviews
81. Re: Royalton Antigua

Climber, the rep from Virgin Holidays suggested to me last week that the hotel was on schedule to open in June 2019. You may want to check with your travel provider.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
257 posts
45 reviews
82. Re: Royalton Antigua

Climber, I found myself here after seeing the Royalton on a travel website. Read all the previous comments with interest. I'm not sure where you are from, but from Toronto, the packages start on May 3.

7 posts
83. Re: Royalton Antigua

I’m from N.J. We are booked and confirmed for the week in April. I have tried to contact the hotel and the booking agent. You think someone would let me know that they won’t be open! Watching and waiting. We are probably going to make alternate cancelable reservations just to be covered. I can’t change the dates because I work in a school and that’s our break.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
84. Re: Royalton Antigua

We are also booked in April. I booked through Bookit and they told me there isn’t anything coming through that they won’t be able to honor the reservation. Bookit said they would call if something should show up before our reservation. Check out Apple Vacations. They are taking reservations but they are 3x more than what we paid.

Edited: 26 November 2018, 23:05
Frenchtown, NJ
Level Contributor
386 posts
10 reviews
85. Re: Royalton Antigua

Hi all, I asked my friend who lives near the Royalton about any updates. She said they are working hard into the night but the official opening is now set for June. It could be that one building will be done before that, but in all likelihood they will accomodate you at the Starfish Jolly Beach hotel if it is not done by your reservation. Sunwing just bought that hotel. She suggested anyone with questions should contact Sunwing group of Canada.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
103 reviews
86. Re: Royalton Antigua

Official and soft opening are two very different things. Anyone who's got a really good deal is likely to be there during soft opening - when not everything is necessarily quite finished, some staff may still be in training, and not all facilities may be available. If that's going to be an issue, it's worth managing expectations now.

As is always the case, if a price seems too attractive to be true, there's usually a very good reason...

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
87. Re: Royalton Antigua

I'm booked for August 2019 so not overly concerned at the moment. However, it is getting to the point that they should update the situation regarding opening. The official Royalton Resorts website still says its opening early 2019 - June cannot be considered as "early" in the year, so if this is true then they need to make a statement. Not sure putting people in the Starfish resort would work, as it looks decidedly downmarket in comparison, and I would not be happy, if in the event I was put there instead

London, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
23 reviews
88. Re: Royalton Antigua

I was certainly told by Virgin’s rep in Antigua that the opening was scheduled for June and it is on target to open then.

I have looked at Starfish Jolly Beach myself, from the UK it is £500 - £1000 cheaper than Royalton. I mainly looked at it because I am told Jolly Beach is a great beach but I’m not sure I’d be happy to be put into a hotel of lower standard and cost if I’ve paid £500 to £1000 more. If anything, by way of compensation and apology they should accommodate you at a higher standard of hotel than you have booked.

London, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
23 reviews
89. Re: Royalton Antigua

In fact, having just done a quick check online, at the time when we would want to travel at the end of June/beginning of July, the cost of Royalton is £2,440 per person for a two week break compared to £1,332 per person for the same duration at Starfish Jolly Beach. If I were to book Royalton and for whatever reason it didn’t open and we had to be re-allocated to another hotel, I would almost certainly be demanding over £1000 back per person on account of the difference in hotel cost and standard of accommodation. If you have booked it may therefore be worth looking into the difference in cost for these two hotels for you so that you can make attempts to reclaim the difference if you are relocated there.

7 posts
90. Re: Royalton Antigua

I have reached out Sunwing and I am waiting for a reply. I will keep you updated. I feel the same way in terms of the difference in quality.

Reply to: Royalton Antigua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted