We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royalton Antigua

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
141 reviews
Royalton Antigua

Does anyone have any information on the new Royalton Antigua? Did the construction ever start? Is it on track to open this year? I can't seem to find any information about it anywhere.

TIA

103 replies to this topic
UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Royalton Antigua

I don't think it's beyond the planning stage right now. In fact, I believe there may be changes to even the plans as I think I read that the new plan is to incorporate the old Royal Antiguan resort. I certainly wouldn't hold your breath...

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
141 reviews
2. Re: Royalton Antigua

Thank you. I guessed as much due to the lack of information. Royalton website doesn't even list it as 'coming soon' like it does other new resorts that are planned.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Royalton Antigua

Now that Royalton has bought the old Royal Antiguan, which is on the same beach as the proposed new hotel, I believe everything will be put on hold. There were a number of issues relating to the development that might have incurred extra costs for the developer, so its quite possible that the entire idea of the new hotel will be scrapped, and as MizGeorge says they will just incorporate the Royal Antiguan

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: Royalton Antigua

I am in the royalton in St Lucia just now and they tell me next year they are trying to sell us holiday here

5. Re: Royalton Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2017, 00:05

6. Re: Royalton Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2017, 00:05

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
7. Re: Royalton Antigua

They are hoping to have it open by the fall. Talked to them here at stake lucia

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
192 reviews
8. Re: Royalton Antigua

I think "hoping to have it open" is the operative phrase. I was over that way last Friday and they had a guard posted at the end of the drive so I could not go in. But what I could see from Deep Bay showed just a shell of the old Royal Antiguan, and not much going on.

I wish they'd hurry up-----there has been some creepy crime on Deep Bay (particularly late 2017) and I think it's because its so isolated now.

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Royalton Antigua

Interesting comment by cessnapilot as we always used to go there, it is probably one of the most beautiful beaches on Antigua but I always felt a little unsafe as it is so isolated, we had money stolen there while swimming and a few days later someone else had their bag stolen. This was in 2016. Because I'd read of the creepy crime late last year I didn't even go to that beach this Christmas which was a shame.

This may get removed as possibly inappropriate but I always thought there was something fishy about the Canadian's taxi driver who was held up and had their passports stolen from the car park while they were swimming from the beach. I find it hard to believe that 2 people would drive up that long dusty track with masks on in the random hope that someone would be parked there with passports in the car and no-one else would be around..

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
192 reviews
10. Re: Royalton Antigua

Prudie's instincts may indeed be correct. But yikes, gunpoint in Antigua! Yet in the big scheme of things does it matter? Crime is crime.

We aren't hanging around on Deep Bay either. My husband is 80 years old, and although we are in good shape, as elderly people we understand that we could be targeted. I'd go to the beach there if there were boats anchored offshore and some yachties around----safety in numbers.

An Antiguan lady I know who rents cars is asking her clients to not park there. I've heard from friends on the island that there are sketchy people hanging around.

I mourn the loss of the Antigua I used to know.

Reply to: Royalton Antigua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua