We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

We didnt realize selecting a luxury hotel in Anguilla will be so complicated. We are going in October

To begin with we boiled it down to 2 hotels; Viceroy and Cap Juluca. However as we did more research, it turns out both have problems

Cap Juluca - is getting sold in May creating concerns around how new management will maintain it. Plus seems people think rooms are outdated

Viceroy - concerns about beach since it requires a shuttle

What would be your recommendations for a top notch luxury hotel in Anguilla - great rooms, ideally just off the beach and a great beach

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

Reading this thread was alot of fun! LOL! I agree that November will be much better than October and that if you want luxury it's not Frangipani. Cap Juluca, Viceroy or CusinArt.

On splitting the trip, I've been to all three island you're considering and agree with Daffy, do Little Dix first. The beachfront accommodations are gorgeous but the beach while really nice, is not up to Anguilla's standards. You can do a day trip to Anegada while you're staying at Little Dix. They have a trip they book for guest that will have you on Loblolly for the day with lunch at The Big Bamboo.

Barbuda's beaches are stunning and equal Anguilla's but there's really nothing to do there but beach and eat.

You might also want to look at Jumby Bay a private island resort off the coast of Antigua. Very high end.

http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/jumbybay/

Just know this, Rosewood Hotels owns Little Dix and Caneel Bay in St. John which is an incredible resort with 7 or 8 beaches. It's a huge resort, Brad and Angelina, Alan Alda a lot of celebrities like it because it's so laid back. I bring this up as I know they do special rates for guest splitting their stays between the 2 resorts which will include the launches that will transport you from St. Thomas to St. John and then from St. John to Virgin Gorda.

As to the "why is it so complicated" question...in this economy most people would like to have your problem! ROWL!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

Okay this is a really irritating!!!! Why does the "Edit" feature time out???? What do the TA Police care about the amount of time it takes to correct errors in a post??? I had to take a call and so needed to edit a few glitches and when I was finished correcting and making additions I get that ridiculous "it's timed out" error message.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

My apologies Kabeer! ;~>

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

Just did Anguilla then Liat trip to Jumby Bay. We have done this many times. Liat was on time and even early this trip. So Antigua is good choice and Jumby is amazing. Yes it is well managed by Rosewood, but the whole private island is owned by the people that own the magnificent homes on the island.

We have done the island hopper -thats Rosewoods slpit between Little Dix and Caneel. Caneel is indeed beautful, but I feel they are lacking in the ambience that CJ and Jumby give you. I have done caneel bay about 4 times and stayed in Cottage 7. Love the little Paradise Beach and Scotts beach--the snorkeling is very good. I met a travel writer years ago on the beach at CJ and she suggested it. We were only at LDB for 3 nights, but our personal preference was Caneel as we loved the dining in funky cruz bay.

We enjoy CJ and have been there a zillion times. We always enjoy it.

My personal preference is Anguilla--hands down the best beaches and lots of beach front restaruants.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 12:51
Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

Why not just stay at Cap the whole time- you will finally start relaxing after day 2- if we could stay there for longer each year we would . xx G

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

I'm with Gigi! Oh yeah!

I 'm at Maunday's Bay right now and had lunch at Blue yesterday. I am here to tell you, no matter what is happening to CJ for the future, it is the same wonderful place with an enviable beach and water like placid glass.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

have fun Pepper-----send everyone our love...have a Pyrat for me!

xxxoo Gi

17. Re: Anguilla hotel selection - why is it so complicated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:17