We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viceroy Sold

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Viceroy Sold

Thank you Penny for the news.

ANGUILLA--Viceroy Resort has been sold to international hoteliers Starwood Capital, Chief Minister Hubert Hughes announced at his weekly press conference Tuesday.

More:

http://j.mp/aG0iRb

The sale is awaiting some finalization from the Anguilla government but already Starwood Capital has detailed their plans for the hotel: Starwood which is planning to put US $16 million into the project this year is also planning to build a conference centre as well as volleyball and a basketball courts on the property.

More:

http://j.mp/dcvYMZ

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Viceroy Sold

It's hard to know what's really going on. I believe a sale of the property by the receiver, Citibank, would have required a public auction. Unlike Flag/Tenemos, there has been no auction. Viceroy, which used to be primarily a hotel management company, is bringing in top level management staff from elsewhere. This is not what a company does just before they leave. Starwood Capital is a relatively new company without a lot of hotel staff, so some of us are wondering if Starwood has contracted with Viceroy for management services. Starwood, however, is top of the line, and knows how to do it right.

And just to add to the confusion, there are two hotel companies using the name Starwood.

http://nreionline.com/news/starwood_founder/

I await a story by the Wall Street Journal or Bloomberg to pierce the secrecy and explain what's going on here in Anguilla.

Bottom line: I have a very good feeling about all this. Well-financed professionals are taking over, and the uncertainty about the future of Viceroy Anguilla will soon be over. As Flag and Viceroy are central to economic recovery in Anguilla, this is great news for Anguillians.

Many of us don't associate this kind of hotel with what we love about Anguilla. It's built and operating and I need to get over that. It will change the feeling of Barnes Bay and the western part of Meads Bay. Restaurants that are doing well will do better, and perhaps there will be a few customers left over for those great places not favoured by the "in crowd," like Lucy's and E'ls Oven.

The awesome view coming over the hill into Shoal Bay (by Abraham the Murderer's house) will still be there for us.

Islander

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Viceroy Sold

The following press release seems to confirm the above, and earlier rumours that Tibaldi was getting the ax.

Islander

http://tinyurl.com/2bh74an

VICEROY HOTEL GROUP ANNOUNCES THE APPOINTMENT OF JEFF DAVID, GENERAL MANAGER OF VICEROY ANGUILLA

Nicholas Clayton, President of Viceroy Hotel Group, a growing global presence in luxury hospitality, announced today the appointment of Jeff David as the new General Manager of Viceroy Anguilla. David will oversee operations and supervise staff of Viceroy’s first international property.

“We are thrilled to have Jeff David leading the Viceroy Anguilla management team," says Clayton. "With his extensive experience and intimate knowledge of the property, David is the ideal person to oversee this luxurious Caribbean resort.”

Part of the pre-launch team as Viceroy Anguilla’s Resort Manager from 2007 – 2009, David left to be General Manager of Viceroy Snowmass, which opened in Fall 2009 in the Colorado high country. Under his direction, Viceroy Snowmass received numerous local and national accolades, including being named to the 2010 Conde Nast Traveler Hot List and ranking as the Aspen/Snowmass area’s number one hotel on TripAdvisor.

“It was a tough decision to leave Viceroy Snowmass,” commented David, “but this was an incredible opportunity I simply couldn’t pass up and I’m thrilled to be returning to my colleagues and friends in Anguilla.”

Situated on 35 lush acres, with 3,200 feet of beachfront along Barnes and Meads Bays, Viceroy Anguilla redefines the very notion of a Caribbean luxury resort, with 166 contemporary beachfront and blufftop villas, sophisticated townhomes and opulent resort residences — the work of acclaimed designer Kelly Wearstler. Having quickly gained a devoted following since its initial opening in late 2009, the resort is in the final stages of completion by September 2010, including a breathtaking cliffside spa, just in time for the coming winter season.

During his tenure at Viceroy Hotel Group, David has also served as the interim General Manager at Viceroy Palm Springs and helped relaunch The Tides South Beach in Miami. As the new General Manager for Viceroy Anguilla, he will continue to further its unrivalled reputation for excellence, succeeding Jan Tibaldi who has left the company to pursue other opportunities.

No stranger to luxury hospitality, David began his career in 1992 at the prestigious Regent Beverly Wilshire – a Four Seasons Hotel on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. He was promoted in 1997 to Four Seasons Boston where he was an integral part of the 1999 management team that upgraded the Four Seasons Boston to the only Five-Star, Five-Diamond property in New England. After nine years with Four Seasons Hotels ending at the Four Seasons Nevis, he joined Little Dix Bay, a Rosewood Resort, in the British Virgin Islands. He spent two seasons at Cap Juluca on Anguilla and then accepted the General Manager position at Ocean Edge Resort on Cape Cod and the Chanler in Newport, Rhode Island.

For more information or reservations at Viceroy Anguilla, 800-357-1930 or visit viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/viceroyanguilla

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viceroy Sold

I think Jan Tibaldi may have left on his own accord. When we were visiting with him he said his daughter wanted to move. I wish him well, he is a very nice man.

Ellen

Connecticut
Level Contributor
356 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viceroy Sold

I'm not sure why Citibank would need to auction the property. If they took sole possession via default on debt, they should be able to sell it to any buyer. Banks aren't in the hotel business, and often want to sell properties quickly to cut their losses.

Islander - thanks for the link to the Starwood story. I thought at first the Westin/St. Regis chain bought the property (with the latter's interest in the island known from Temenos). Confusing names!

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viceroy Sold

How would this impact someone looking to make a reservation at Viceroy in the near future?

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Viceroy Sold

Except for the replacement of a very capable General Manager by a different but very capable General Manager, I don't anticipate any change that could affect guest services, or that the guests would notice anything different.

My imperfect understanding of the relevant Anguillian law is that any amount in excess of the lender's claim in such a sale must go back to the defaulting property owner. The law thus requires that a sale of real property by a lender be by public auction. This prevents the lender from selling the property to his brother-in-law for a taken amount.

Islander

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Viceroy Sold

Viceroy Hotel Group definitely still manages Viceroy Anguilla. I read this on Hotel Chatter last week"

hotelchatter.com/story/2010/7/29/05355/5727/…

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Viceroy Sold

I would worry about making a deposit with Viceroy because the new owner may not honor that deposit so you could loose it.

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viceroy Sold

That is not true!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Viceroy Sold

"I would worry about making a deposit with Viceroy because the new owner may not honor that deposit so you could loose it."

Leesripad, I don't know where you get that idea from, but that is not the way major hotel chains operate when one hotel changes hands. In addition, the hotel will still be operated by Viceroy and carry the Viceroy name, by all the information that is out there.

Viceroy is not exactly what I would call "typical Anguilla", but there is no need for scaremongering for any of the properties on the island.