We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

South Pole
Level Contributor
58 posts
65 reviews
Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

I am looking to stay in a 5-star luxury resort on Anguilla in February for 4 nights with my partner. Our budget is around $1,000/night. Unfortunately, the Belmond Cap Juluca requires a minimum 5-night stay and so we've narrowed our choices to the Four Seasons or Maliouhana. The reservations line at Maliouhana said that we cannot book yet because of repairs, but that they could add us to the wait list for when they'll know for certain when they reopen. From the pictures, I get the impression that the Maliouhana has a more boutique feel and colorful decor whereas the Four Seasons seems to have more of a minimalist, clean contemporary look. Is the service comparable at both? They both seem to have comparably pretty beaches too. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

24 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,429 posts
312 reviews
1. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

Of the two, I would pick Four Seasons, they have been getting wonderful reviews.

Malliouhana will have just reopened, and there is no telling what the staff or service will be, especially since their renowned GM has departed.

I don't believe either is 5 star, for that, you would want Quintessence, the first true 5 star hotel on the island.

Ellen

CT
Level Contributor
421 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

Quintessence may be 5 star, but it is getting mixed reviews around the food and it is not right on the beach. It is located in a residential neighborhood. I must admit, I would rather be on a beach, not have to walk down to it. And I would rather have a different style of decor - Quintessence is over the top.

Each to their own. Difficult choice - given the uncertainty around Maliouhana, I think I would add Frangipani to the list.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

Here's the problem between your 2 choices:

You really have no idea (only a supposition) when Malli will open so you can't possibly know what the new owners have in mind. I would venture a guess that if (Big "IF") Malli is open at the time you need to travel that it will be totally spectacular and worth the wait. I personally would definitely choose Malli between the two. However, you don't have that choice, so you might as well go for the safe and stunning Four Seasons. After all, it ain't exactly chopped liver.

Having said that, and because you have not asked about Quintessence, I will put in my 2 cents and say that the beach is absolutely gorgeous and service is so on the ball that they will be willing and waiting to take you down in their golf cart (or you could walk down the road if you prefer). The place is stunning and the service is impeccable. But the beach!! The Beach!! It is all yours and gorgeous. We know because we've stayed twice and plan to stay again in April if they'll have us again.

PS. As to the criticism of the food. All people feel differently. Food is a subjective thing. The good thing is that there are so many fine venues to choose from, you wouldn't want to take all your meals at Q anyway. Why would you? So food is certainly not any problem.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 20:20
Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

Are your dates flexible? I just looked at availability for Cap for 4 nights early in February and it showed available. Possibly the 5 night requirement is only over the President's Week vacation.

South Pole
Level Contributor
58 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

@Mstvl. Thank you for the tip! Unfortunately, owing to limited vacation days, we are specifically looking over the President's Day long weekend.

South Pole
Level Contributor
58 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

Thank you everyone for the advice. Quintessence looks nice, but I don't think it is our style. We prefer the aesthetic at 4S, CJ or Malli.

As @Pepper pointed out, the uncertainty over the opening date for the Malli is a key issue, so the plan would be to book a cancellable rate with the 4 Seasons but still go on the waitlist for the Malli and then decide which to go with if we hear back from the Malli in time. Overall though, it seems like everyone agrees that I can't go wrong with any of these hotels, so that is some piece of mind.

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

I think you’ve made the right decision. And it would not hurt to check back with Cap closer to the date. If bookings are not as good as hoped, they may loosen that restriction.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 22:46
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,429 posts
312 reviews
8. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

Presidents Day weekend is always busy in Anguilla.

J H
Lanoka Harbor, New...
Level Contributor
730 posts
100 reviews
9. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

Have you looked into Zemi?

South Pole
Level Contributor
58 posts
65 reviews
10. Re: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?

@J H: I had looked into Zemi and read that its beach is particularly beautiful. But I crossed it off the list as it seems a bit isolated and I got the impression from reviews that it wasn't as luxurious as the 4S, Mali or CJ.

Reply to: Luxury 5-Star Resort Choice: Four Seasons vs Maliouhana?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted