We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lihir Island Accommodation

-
1 post
Save Topic
Lihir Island Accommodation

I would like to plan a trip to Lihir Island, PNG. I was wondering if some information could be provided regarding:

-available accommodation

-obtaining the correct visa

-booking flights (for example, from Cairns to Port Morseby- Port Morseby to Lihir Island)

-who best to contact

useful information would be greatly appreciated,

cheers.

2 replies to this topic
Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lihir Island Accommodation

Hi Dottydeb.

Unsure whether your visit is tourism or some other purpose. Most westerners going to Lihir are going for business at the mine there.

I'm not aware what if any accommodation exists other than at the minesite - Lonely Planet is a couple of years old and claims there is none.

The correct visa depends on the purpose and length of your visit.

Air Niugini flies a couple of times most days from Port Moresby to Lihir and daily Moresby to Cairns. Not sure if the connections are same day.. They have an Office in Cairns and travel agents could also book.

cheers skip

Townsville...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Lihir Island Accommodation

Thanks skip,

My family and I had been living on Lihir Island between 2002- 2004. My return will be as a tourist, as all our connections have either moved back to Aus, or have lost emails, numbers etc.

I have heard rumors of a new resort style accommodation going up on Lihir, but I am unsure whether the site this features on is a student project:

ptigroup.com.au/…

I would love to return to Lihir, but you are right in saying that expatriate accommodation only exists to those involved with the mine.

Thankyou for your interest,

all the best

Reply to: Lihir Island Accommodation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lihir Island