We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

Cape Town
Level Contributor
6 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

We are planning to escape the Cape winter in 2012 and head into KZN. The last time we did this we went north and this time we would like to go south. There are 3 of us - me, hubby and our 7 year old. I have found lots of info on activities but am struggling to work out where to base ourselves. We don't enjoy large towns with lots of high rises and flashy lights, but having said that we would stiill like access to a restaurant or 2 and a shop if we need one. We have 7 to 10 days so we could do a 2 centre holiday - perhaps including somewhere inland because I am assuming that although the climate is mild, we won't necessarily be baking on the beach. Anywhere interesting that you could recommned? We will have a hire car as we will be flying into Durban.

7 replies to this topic
Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

Are you looking for a B&B, a fully catered hotel, self-catering resort or what? And would you consider combining the coast with a few days around the Drakensberg as your "inland" part?

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

Shelly Beach is a good cenral place to access the KZN South Coast,

It is half way between Port Edward in the South and Hibberdene in the North and aprox 30 kms from Oribi Gorge. There are 2 shopping centres and plenty of restaurants around Shelly Beach.

The sea temp in still warm in winter - about 20 degrees and the days are pleasant and sunny, so you might find yourselves on the beach quite often.

Good accommodation can be found on www.staysouthcoast.co.za

Cape Town
Level Contributor
6 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

Hi - thank you for your responses. We would probably be looking for self catering accommodation. At this stage we were not considering visiting the Drakensberg because of the distance and the temperatures. My impression is that the Drakensberg will be pretty cold in June/ July and we are trying to escape the cold. Also, we would prefer to limit the long haul distance driving.

Shelley beach sounds like a good location, but I am really looking for a small town with character to stay in rather than having access to shopping centres. Any suggestions?

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

I would say Southbroom, it is beautiful and there are plenty of self catering places there.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Shelly Beach, South...
Level Contributor
271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

Ramsgate is a lovely little village, with quirky shops, nice restaurants and a lovely beach, not too built up but still close enough to get to the South coast attractions.

Edited: 29 November 2011, 06:00
Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

San Lameer golf estate might suit you. They do villa rentals, have a couple of their own restaurants, swimming pool, tiny shop, a very quiet (but security patrolled) beach. It's very close to Port Edward, Ramsgate and Margate but is very like a small village. When we've been, very few people were playing golf but the monkeys and small antelope were out on the course. (Seeing a vervet run off with someone's well placed tee-shot was a riot! To me anyway, I don't play.)

www.sanlameer.co.za

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast

Hi your best choice would be Soutbroom. A quaint village with everything you need including an 18 hole golf course. The beaches are fabulous & the suburb itself charming. You won't be disappointed.

Reply to: Where should we base ourselves on the KZN south coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southbroom