We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blueberry Barrens/Landscape Photography

5 posts
Save Topic
Blueberry Barrens/Landscape Photography

I'll be travelling to the Down East portion of Maine during the first week in October. I was wondering if I could get specific recommendations on where to find large granite boulders amid the Blueberry Bartend. I know the approximate range of the Barrens...but like to reduce my time in searching for boulders amid the blueberries.....Also, any other recommendations for landscape photography in extreme southeastern Maine (east of Bangor and Bar Harbor)?

3 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blueberry Barrens/Landscape Photography

The best view I've seen like that is from Cattlepillar Hill in Sedgwick. There is a scenic pullover and a long view across the blueberry barren to Deer Isle, the bridge, Eggemoggin Reach, and the islands.

bluehillheritagetrust.org/cooper-farm-at-cat…

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blueberry Barrens/Landscape Photography

Bonnie stole my favorite spot (Post #1 above). Other possibilities if you're driving around... -- ME Rt 192 between Machias and ME Rt 9 in Wesley (not long vistas like Caterpillar Hill, but some good-sized hunks of granite fairly close to the road if memory serves); -- ME Rt 9 in Wesley in the immediate vicinity of the junction with ME Rt 192 and from there east toward Crawford (be very very careful if stopping for photos anywhere on ME Rt 9; it;s a major commercial route between Eastern Canada and Bangor ME; it's rural nature can be decepive; be sure you're completely out of traffic if/when you stop).

conn
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blueberry Barrens/Landscape Photography

Boulders and blueberry describe most Mt. tops in New England you really don't need to look for it. It will find you.

Reply to: Blueberry Barrens/Landscape Photography
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about DownEast and Acadia...