We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

We (2 adults 2 teens) are traveling to Oregon on July 26th, flying into PDX. Here is our schedule:

7/26 - 7/27: land at Pdx (late afternoon) and drive to coast via 26, to Cannon Beach. We would like to stay in or around this area for a night but can't seem to find a one night reservation.

7/27 - 7/28 - drive south and stay in a nice beachfront town, again preferably for one night. Any ideas or places?

7/29 - continue south and possibly do a dune buggy tour. We need to end up in Merlin at the Galice resort that evening to be ready for a 3 day Rogue River rafting trip on the 30th of July.

My questions center on how far to drive each day, and how to find one night hotel stays. We might just end up staying 2 nights in Cannon and booking it down farther than planned on the last day.

Any input is appreciated.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

Late July is prime time on the Oregon Coast and many places, especially on the Northern Coast, require a two night minimum. However, there are some that don't, but they probably are not in Cannon Beach. Try Seaside, Gearhart, Manzanita, Wheeler.

Here's a website with the mile by mile guide:

www.visittheoregoncoast.com

Second night, my recommendation would be Yachats--Overleaf Lodge, Fireside Inn, The Adobe or perhaps someplace in Newport. Yachats is a little further south, which will get you on the road to Florence earlier so you can do the dune buggy ride.

Not sure which route would be the quickest to cross over to I-5 to get to Merlin. Don't think I would take the road through Agness even in the summer, that would be really slow.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

To get to Merlin your best bet is to go leave Hwy 101 at Reedspport and follow Hwy 38 to Hwy 136 near Drain, OR and connecting to 1-5 near Suthernlin. This is a beautiful drive...one of the best ways to get from the valley to the coast.

I probably wouldn't overnight in Reedsport, Id choose Florence- you can divide your time up evenly as far as driving with how many days you have. You'll fill your time up. From Florence to Bandon- hwy 101 is far from the coast-because of the dunes- so it isn't as car friendly(as far as easy views from your car, etc) as other areas. Definetly take the buggy ride- a great way to get out on the dunes-since it is really the only way to access them besides hiking on miles of sand dunes- a real workout...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

Cannon Beach is basically the only town on the coast which overall requires a two night stay. You should not have a one-night problem anywhere else on the coast, except for maybe a few hotels and B&Bs. Try the towns Kitters suggested as they are all near Cannon Beach.

For your next stop, Yachats is very small, quiet, pretty . . . and your teens would probably prefer to stay in Newport, where there is much more to do and see!

http://discovernewport.com/

The road from Gold Beach to Merlin is open in the summer, but it will take you about 3 hours to get there. It's very isolated, no services at all, no cell phone service. I would not recommend it.

The easiest way to get to Merlin from Florence area is to continue south on 101 to Reedsport, then go inland via Hwy 38 (very scenic), then cut south on 138 to I-5, and go south.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

One place in Cannon Beach that does one night stays midweek in summer is Ecola Creek Lodge. I have not stayed there, as we always opt for the Surfsand, but the location is good and it would work for a one night stay.

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

Thanks to all of you for your speedy responses. I will check out some of the other towns in the vicinity for a one nighter. If we have to stay two, then we are that much luckier since the area is so beautiful. will just have to drive more in one day. I had already found the Overleaf in Yachats as a possibility - it looks nice. I will check out Newport too.

Is there a particular dune buggy tour or ride that we should look at? Would I search in Florence? I also read about a place where you can "sand surf" down the dunes......sounds unique too.

Level Contributor
35,482 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

Rivertide Suites is a very nice property in Seaside, they do have a one night availability for that night right now. It is about a block from the ocean, the rooms are very pretty at Rivertide Suites. www.seasideor.com is a nice website for this area. It is about ten minutes from Cannon Beach and 20 minutes from Astoria. Enjoy your trip! :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

I agree inland at Reedsport but suggest you not go all the way to Drain, take Half-brits suggestion for 138 at Elkton to Sutherlin.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

There are two places right on hwy 101 south of Florence for dune buggy rides: Sandland Adventures and Sand Dunes Frontier. Either is fine, but I like the smaller "rails" at Sand Dunes Frontier.

9. Re: Need Input on Oregon Coast Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 06:22