We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7-14-17

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 7-14-17

I'm traveling with my wife and 2 sons to Pensacola Beach for the first time.

7/14/17- Arrived into town checked into the Hilton at Pensacola Beach. Town makes a great first impression. Drove into Gulf Breeze ate at a local Mexican restaurant, Mariachi. Very good authentic Mexican just what the family likes. After asking attendants on the toll bridge we started using pay by plate for all future tolls on bridge. Enjoyed short walk on beach before early turn in after long travel day.

7-15- Out for breakfast. Kids wanted IHOP. Found one in Gulf Breeze, worst ever. Spent the day at the beach at the Hilton. Had chairs waiting from Lazy Days Rentals. Beach was crowded but not unbearable. Water was great sand was soft. Great day, left in time to check into condo. Reservations were through Paradise Beach Homes for a two bedroom unit at Starboard Village. Smooth check in, great unit. Ate at Five Guys in Pensacola then loaded up on groceries for the week. Definitely impressed so far.

7-16- Woke up to a strong thunder storm just had to wait it out. Got to the beach by 11 with chairs waiting through Lazy Days. Ocean was rough with some June grass present. Afternoon was still rough with even more June grass. After a lot of research for perfect place, we ate at Peg Leg Petes. It did not disappoint. Great food great atmosphere.

7-17- Woke up to more storms forecasted through lunch. Decided to go to air museum. Great places worth the trip from beach. Also made a quick stop at Joe Patti's just to see a real fish market. Spent the afternoon on the beach. Rough waters with a growing amount of June grass. Ate pizza at Jimmy B's. Good pizza even if others are closer. We really like trip so far but June grass is troubling.

9 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

I had a question regarding the toll road. Is there a live attendant who will take money? We'll have a rental car but I don't want to be charged their outrageous fees so I wanted to figure out if we need to stop and purchase a Sunpass at the store or if we could just pay an attendant at the toll booth.

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

Yes you can pay cash each time. 4 booths with attendees.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Level Contributor
668 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

We really like Pensacola Beach and will return . How do you like Starboard Village ?

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

7-18- went to the beach to find June grass had set in. It was so thick up to 20 yards off shore. Ocean still rough so it was hard for my wife to play in the ocean. Spent a lot of time in the pool or just sitting on the beach listening to the break. Decided to try Mcguire's in Pensacola for supper. Food was really good, just be prepared to set your budget back. It was worth the experience once.

7-19- Ocean so calm today it looks like a lake. The June grass is separating into strips. Still thick at shore but easily can find strips of crystal clear Caribbean type water. The strips constantly move so just keep moving with them. The water almost breaks your hear for what could have been. Wind picked up in the afternoon breaking up some of the clusters. It made the clear strips choppy with June grass. Needed groceries so just hit the Zaxby's in Gulf Breeze.

7-20- Water was best yet. Strips of June grass still there but larger strips of beautiful blue water. Was able to stay in water most of the day. In the afternoon jumped on inner tube with goggles and made our way to the sand bar 50-75 yard off shore. Seen rays and several jellyfish. Great day still showing what could be. Made a repeat visit to Peg Leg Pete's. The lines at the front door are justified, it was great both times. One day left maybe what can be.

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

Starboard Village is great. Not crowded all week. We are in very spacious 2 bedroom on the ocean. My wife has watched dolphins everyday. We have been impressed with Pensacola Beach but the June grass has tainted it some. I think it's hit or miss like the weather but still leaves us wondering.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

Lilly, just to be clear, it's only a toll booth onto the island. There's no toll road and no need for a sunpass unless you're traveling other areas besides Pensacola Beach.

Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

7-31- Last day. Morning on the beach we found a long strip of water with no June grass. Beautiful blue clear water. Ocean was rough and after lunch the June grass had spread out so just found clear pockets to swim in. Time to pack up.

Loved Pensacola Beach as a whole. The June grass caused issues but talking to repeat visitors, this is the worst anyone has seen it. It was one of the rainiest summers for the gulf coast all contributing to the grass. We will definitely give Pensacola Beach another shot.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

I know this is a little late, but I enjoyed your trip report. It's nice that your family was able to have a good time instead of dwelling on the grass.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 7-14-17

Yes there is.

Reply to: Trip Report 7-14-17
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pensacola Beach
Recent Conversations
More Pensacola Beach Topics