We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

Hi there,

Me again (sorry!). Just a quick question, we've 2 days in Katmai NP on 4-5 July next year, overnighting in King Salmon on July 4 so we won't have the benefit unfortunately of early morning or late evening bear viewing in Brooks camp on either day.

So very simply, should we bother with the Valley of 10,000 Smokes tour of day 2? It will take up the whole day and we'll probably be flying back to KS and Anchorage straight after (though hopefully can get a later flight in the evening). The Valley tour does look amazing, incredible history and views I'm sure and if it were anywhere else or anytime else I wouldn't think twice and just do it.....but really the 'once in a lifetime' thing here is the bears and that is our priority, so thinking we'll just do 2 days with the bears?

I guess we can just book it, take the hit with the $96 pp and then play it by ear when we get there!

Any thoughts very welcome :)

Thanks a million.

8 replies to this topic
Springfield...
Level Contributor
449 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

If you buy a Toursaver book next year when it goes down in price, you pay for one person and have a free pass for another person.

But if you won't be needing any activities to use that coupon book to save $30, I would not even bother.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
449 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

Or you can wait for Cyber Monday and save more than on Black Friday. But prices should go down lower next year.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

I did it on a short visit and found the Valley fascinating, with volcanic ash a hundred feet + thick. But then, how many hours do you really want to watch bears? How important is a geological wonder by comparison? You can also gamble on ' space available' to the Valley the

second day, if you originally book for bears only.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

I think it was not until my third trip to Katmai NP that I visited the Valley of 10,000 Smokes. With just one night in Brooks, personally I would concentrate on bear viewing. You might get into a bear jam the first day and not even get to the falls for a while. But it is totally up to you and your priorities.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
5. Re: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Agree with all really, we'll go there for 2 days bear viewing and then we can see the story on day 2, if we want to do Valley tour and if there's space available.

Will definitely look at getting that toursaver book too for our time in Alaska :)

Belleville,MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

I just watched Ariel America on Alaska, was debating myself. Its history and views are more incredible than I imagined. I now am trying to squeeze in this journey into my upcoming trip.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
7. Re: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

We just went for the bears in the end, which was amazing once we negotiated things like delayed flights due to fog, bear jams at the Katmai bridge etc! Needed 2 days given all the variables associated with actually getting out to the falls!

Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?

Like to hike and the 3+ miles is not too long for us. We are Seniors, what is it about the hike that makes it either Moderate or Streneous? Is it just the hike back up Anybody out there going to be there at Brooks Falls on Aug 3 or 4th

Reply to: Valley of 10k Smokes, worth it if only 2 days in Katmai NP?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics